Ed Sheeran Has a New Album!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

As many of you sheerios probably know, Ed Sheeran released his new album on March 3rd after taking a two year long break. We are going to rate each song to let you know our favorite songs on the new album. (Side note: We are really big Ed Sheeran fans and won’t rank anything lower than a 3. That doesn’t mean that a 3 is bad though).

Eraser

This song is reminiscent of his old songs from his previous two albums. A nice mix of Ed Sheeran’s style of rap with great background and vocals.

Castle on the Hill

Castle on the Hill paints such a beautiful picture of Ed’s childhood home. The song immediately puts a smile on your face as you think of baby Ed Sheeran.   

Dive

His voice is really strong in this slower song however the melody is very repetitive making the song not as memorable as the others.

Shape of You

This song makes you want to get up and dance and is the perfect song to sing along to with the windows down on a long drive. What is there not to like about it?

Perfect

This song is the next “Thinking Out Loud” with such a heartwarming message about love and relationships proving that Ed would make the perfect boyfriend.

Galway Girl

One of the songs from the album that shows Ed’s roots with his twist on a traditional Irish tune.

5 out 5 stars

Happier

This song makes us want to burst into tears hearing the pain in Ed’s voice. The lyrics are so poignant and moving.

4 out 5 stars

New Man

We cannot come to a consensus on this song so we ranked it separately.

S: I like how he adds his humor into his music. He also brings up the recurring idea of the other “man”. With a fast, upbeat tune it makes you want to get up and go hard at the gym to get revenge for Ed.

A: I like the beat of the song and the lyrics, but feel like the song is much more talking than singing.

Hearts Don’t Break Around Here

The lyrics are filled with gorgeous metaphors and images about love. Just a classic amazing Ed Sheeran song.  

4 out 5 stars

What Do I Know?

It’s nice hearing Ed sing a positive and happier song about the power of love.

4 of 5 stars

How Would You Feel (Paean)

A super cute song about the process of falling in love. The arrangement of the music of the song really makes you see Ed’s talent for music.  

4 of 5 stars

Supermarket Flowers

First Ed’s grandfather died in Afire Love and now his grandmother is dead in this song. We cannot handle these tragedies :’( Ed depicts his sorrows eloquently though his vocals.

Barcelona

This fun song makes you want to leave all your troubles behind and travel to Barcelona. With Ed of course!

5 out 5 stars

Bibia Be Ye Ye

Another fast paced song by Ed, similar to Barcelona. However, a reason why it lost a star was due to the difficulty of pronouncing the title.

Nancy Mulligan

So cute telling the tale of his two star crossed grandparents falling in love despite the odds. This song is one of our favorites on the album! Makes us want to get up and learn how to Irish step dance.

Save Myself

We cannot deal with this song. This is one of Ed’s saddest songs ever and it makes us want to cry.

Cover photo

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.