Bertucci’s Bankrupt and I’m Bread-less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

On April 17, 2018, Bertucci’s (the Italian restaurant that is known for their incredible rolls and olive oil) filed for bankruptcy. For bread lovers everywhere, this was a huge shock! My first thought was that I needed to go to a Bertucci’s ASAP if they were closing! However, after doing some research, this doesn’t seem to be the case.

Some people may wonder, “how did they get to this point?” Bertucci’s always seemed to be a busy establishment with people coming in to dine with their families or getting take out. They have good food for a fair price, and the waiters and waitresses are welcoming and friendly.

Bertucci’s started in Davis Square in Somerville, which is very close to Bentley. Davis Square is similar to Harvard Square and very close to Tufts. I have never been to this particular Bertucci’s, but I have gone to other Bertucci’s in the area and back in Connecticut. The news that they filed for bankruptcy was hard to hear because it is one of my favorite restaurants.

Since 2011, Bertucci’s has had a heavy decline in sales and revenue according to an article on Boston.com. A Chicago based investment firm has decided to buy Bertucci’s which means for us, not much will change. However, since filing for Bankruptcy, 15 locations have closed and 6 Bertucci’s have closed in Massachusetts alone. This means a loss of jobs for Bertucci’s employees and fear of lost jobs for employees at locations that have yet to close. Although there are immense changes, Bertucci’s leadership will continue to stay the same. Since there is a chance that more locations will close though, I personally would suggest getting that brick oven pizza down the street soon!

For avid Bertucci fans, there is still hope that Bertucci’s will pick itself back up and continue to grow. The CEO said “One thing that will not change is our famous rolls.” And really, that’s all that matters!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3

Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter. 
Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.