This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

It’s finals season! You know what that means. Long hours of studying for multiple finals, papers, and presentations right before break. It is important to take short breaks so that you are productive during long hours of studying. Also, everyone needs breaks every once in a while, so don’t feel that you are slacking if you need to take a break.  

1. Exercise

Go to the gym, go for a walk, attend an exercise class, or even just do some jumping jacks in your room. This is a good way to get your body moving, blood flowing, and release some endorphins. It is important to move every hour, especially while studying because sometimes time slips away and you haven’t moved in hours!  

2. Have a snack

Yes, you could do this while studying, but consider this a treat! If you get through a certain amount of chapters, treat yourself to a snack. Obviously healthier snacks are better, such as carrots or apples, but if you need some chocolate to motivate you through studying then go for it! Hint: Dark chocolate is linked to improved brain function!

3. Read for fun

Yes, you are probably already reading a bunch while studying, but sometimes reading something that actually interests you is very relaxing. It also keeps your mind stimulated and active. Grab a book, article, or magazine and enjoy a little break!

4. Watch something

This can get out of hand very quickly, so make sure you have enough self-control to stop yourself from wasting too much time! You can watch Netflix, YouTube, TV, or anything else that interests you. Limit yourself to one episode or video, or even allow yourself only 20 minutes. This is a good way to keep you on track for studying.

5. Get fresh air

Go outside and get some fresh air! This is something that you probably didn’t even know you needed and is super refreshing. You can walk to get some food, to see a friend, or to pick up packages for the holidays. Whatever you do, it is good to get some fresh air and get outside for some Vitamin D.

6. Listen to music

Although some people listen to music while studying, for others it could be a good study break. Listen to your favorite songs and artists to get you motivated to continue studying. Maybe even have a little dance party in your room!  

7. Take a power nap

If you have been studying for hours and have no energy, this may be the best option for you! Take a power nap for about 10-20 minutes which should leave you feeling refreshed and rested. This should help you get through more hours of studying. Set a timer and relax, even if you just close your eyes and rest.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!       
Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.