7 Annoying Things Overheard at Bentley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

1.     I don’t want to be here

Well, that’s interesting, considering that there are thousands of universities in the world and you’re paying $60k to attend this one. Remember back when you were a senior in high school and you got accepted to Bentley, decided you were going to come here, and bought your first Bentley t-shirt to wear proudly to school? Hone in on that memory when you’re trudging up the Smith stairs. You’re here for a reason.

2.     I hate the food at Seasons

Obviously this isn’t your mother’s home cooking. There are 4,500 students to feed at this school. Granted, it would be nice if we could have Sodexo level A, but you could have gone somewhere else if that mattered to you so much. Learn the ins and outs of Seasons to make your meals more desirable, and try to remember how lucky you are to have food ready for you at any time every single day. Too many people can never experience that luxury.

3.     That team/club/group is so cliquey

We’re constantly being encouraged to find people to spend time with that share in our interests, and yet at the same time we find ourselves turning up our noses at these groups and referring to them as cliques. There’s a difference between a clique and a group who enjoys spending time together. The next time that you consider accusing people of being a clique, ask yourself whether or not they would deliberately turn you away if you wanted to join. If they would, whine on. If not, keep the peace.

4.     I should just drop out

Such a drastic statement, and yet it feels so real when you receive that crushing 50% on a GB exam. It may be hard, but try to avoid the extremes. We’ve all been there, and nothing productive comes from pretending you’d be better off as a stripper after one rough test.

5.     I hate 8 AMs

First of all, you signed up for them. And I know that sometimes we get forced into them, but are they really that horrible? Remember when you used to get up at 6:30 AM and commute to high school– a place where you would be forced to take classes that you didn’t sign up for with professors that you had no hand in choosing? Oh, not to mention that school lasted a straight 6 hours. THAT was worth complaining about.

6.     He’ll never notice me

Never underestimate the power of a woman on a mission. I’m not telling you to throw yourself at the next hot guy you see, but if someone is truly catching your eye, you should give yourself some credit. Sure, maybe he doesn’t notice you NOW, but after he sees your dance moves this weekend…

7.     Nothing exciting is happening

I get it: you wake up, eat, go to class, study, eat, sleep, and repeat. If someone asked you to summarize your day in less than ten seconds, this is what you would say. But if you really believe that nothing exciting ever happens in your life, look a little closer. There are moments every day that you may take for granted that actually keep you motivated to get up and reenter the cycle every morning. If after you read this and think about your day and find that you still can’t pin down anything exciting, that’s your own fault. You get one life, so make it as exciting as you’d like. If you don’t, there’s no one to blame but yourself. Just to jog your memory, here are a few exciting things that may happen during your week…

·       You and your roommate woke up for class at the same time. In-sync sleep schedules are taken for granted.

·       Your eyeliner went on flawlessly. Good morning world.

·       Your coffee was made perfectly at Dunkin.

·       Class gets cancelled because of snow (hopefully this will become a lot more frequent).

·       A guy holds the door open for you and smiles. Chivalry is still alive, and it’s exciting.

·       Tater tots are at seasons.

·       You don’t have to push anyone to get a timely ride to the frat. Bonus!

·       Your favorite song came on when you went out. And you killed it.

·       Someone sent you a goodnight text. Feeling the love.

Swimmer & Nicholas Sparks enthusiast
Bentley senior majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications with a minor in Entrepreneurial Studies. Chapter President for HCB. Third Door Media intern. Karate aficionado. Shonda Rhimes super fan.