50 Shades of Red: Mastering the Age-Old Art of Red Lips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

’Tis the season of chunky cable-knit sweaters, cashmere scarves, and the ever-sought-after Starbucks Gingerbread Lattes. Styles may come and go with the impending holiday season upon us, but the most timeless accessory of all? Statement-making red lips. The classic look is a staple, in the wintertime more than ever, and whether you’ve been naughty or nice, there’s a red-lip look that works for everyone.

When rockin’ around a red lip, some general rules of thumb go a very long way. What’s arguably most important is that we prevent the color from bleeding — we’re going for drama, not Dracula, after all. To make sure our red lips are indeed exclusively on our lips, lining your lips is of critical importance (we’ll go into more detail about that later!). It also makes a huge difference to add a dab of concealer on either corner of your lips, and be sure to lightly blot directly after applying your lip color.

Being that for this look we are focusing on our lips, when it comes to the rest of your makeup, remember one word: KISS (Keep It Stylishly Simple!). Stick with a classic, simple cat eye paired with one to two coats of mascara to create a unified look. If you’re planning on adding some eye shadow, err on the side of toned-down neutrals so your makeup doesn’t overwhelm the overall composition of your face. With foundation, you’ll want a matte finish, adding only the slightest dust of a natural-hued blush and/or bronzer over your cheekbones. A red lip is a bold, eye-catching statement — so be sure to let your lips do the talking (both literally and figuratively, that is)!

What’s so great about a red lip look is that they come in an enormous array of washes and finishes — for any budget, too, for that matter.

If you’re looking to apply a sheer, more subtle wash of red to your pout, a tinted balm is the way to go.

• The Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Ruby is a cult classic renown for its ultra-nourishing consistency and universally flattering color selection. (And who could resist the sturdy-yet-chic packaging?)

• The Lush Lip Tint in Santa Baby has an all-natural, vegan formula packed with essential oils to make your lips both soft and smoochable — not to mention that the Coca-Cola scent is delectable.
  • Maybelline’s Baby Lips in the shade Cherry Me is both moisturizing and lightweight on the lips, plus you can find it at virtually any local drug store.

Want to sport a bolder, more ravishing red? Long-wear mattes are right up your alley.

• Kat Von D’s Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Outlaw applies like a gloss, but actually has a matte, stain finish that has unreal staying power, leaving your lips looking luscious all night long.

• The Bite Beauty Matte Crème Lip Crayon in Fraise has all-natural, food-grade ingredients that are loaded with antioxidants to make your lips both look and feel great throughout the day.
  • The Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lip Color in Siren in Scarlet has a hydrating formula that won’t dry out your lips, as some high-end and drugstore matte lip colors may tend to.

For those of you who prefer your crimsons creamy, there are plenty of soft, cream-finish lip formulas that are perfect for any occasion.

• The Dior Addict Lipstick in Avenue 667 is packed with essential oils and has a hydrating/softening core that leaves your lips kissably soft all day. The formula is very buildable so you can always achieve the precise pigment that you’re looking for.
  • Laura Mercier’s Lip Parfait in Cherry on Top is infused with butters to keep your lips indulgently smooth and ultra-pigmented.

• Rimmel London Moisture Renew Lipstick in Red Alert has a lightweight, super smooth formula containing vitamins A, C, & E, which also makes the lipstick highly moisturizing.

It’s no secret that a high-shine gloss can bring us sunshine on a cloudy (or snowy!) day, and these shiny, pigmented lip glosses will be sure to restore some luster to your lips.

• With vitamins A & E, Buxom’s Full-On Lip Polish in Taylor gives a non-sticky, ultra glossy and colored finish while also giving your pout a subtle plump.
  • The Artistry Light Up Lip Gloss in Passion adds a brilliant shine and color to your lips, while the mint-infused formula keeps your lips and breath feeling fresh.  Even better, the application wand lights up and the tube has a mirror on it — making it perfect for on-the-go application.
  • Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Lip Gloss in Evening Glow has (as the name heralds) an all-natural, glide-on formula containing sunflower oil, leaving lips feeling quenched and polished.

As discussed earlier, a good lip liner is essential for attaining precision and neatness with a bold lip color. Just trace the outer edge of your natural lip line to create a solid line of defense in preventing your red lipstick from smearing.

• The NARS Lip Liner Pencil in Amazon gives ultra-rich pigmentation. It glides onto your lips feeling smooth and creamy, while still having some serious staying power throughout the entire day.

• Ulta’s Automatic Lip Liner in Spice blends supremely well with virtually any red lip color, making it an extremely versatile option. This liner glides on smoothly, and with the twist-up applicator, it never needs sharpening.

• Another no-sharpener-necessary liner is the Rimmel Exaggerate Full Color Lip Liner in Red Diva, which has a subtle matte finish to keep your lipstick in place.

So you’ve perfected your pout, you’ve checked your teeth for red remnants, and you’ve got a matching red Starbucks cup in hand…what’s left? The one finishing touch that every red-lip-wearer needs is a smile — you’re never fully dressed without it. Red is a courageous color to take on, and it demands to be met with pride. Far more important than what you’re wearing is how you wear it and how you feel when doing so — so when conquering the sometimes daunting feat of sporting a red lip, make sure you’re fully suited up with charisma, conviction, and confidence.

Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.
Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.