15 Lessons “Sex and the City” Has Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda said it best.

1.)  Know your worth

If Charlotte can go up against Bunny and demand that she is worth $1 million, then you should know that you’re worth at least $2 million.

2.)  Guys want what they can’t have

Just look at Big and Carrie over the course of every season. Whenever Carrie is with someone else, Big was always pursuing her—but when she was ready and willing to be with him, he always took her for granted.

3.)  Never settle for anything less than butterflies

While Berger and Carrie’s relationship was less than stellar, she learned to never settle for anything less than butterflies, and neither should you.

4.)  Getting over someone is hard

If Carrie can get over Big on three separate occasions, then you can get over the boy who doesn’t deserve you. Breakups help you put things back into perspective, and rediscover who you are—since you’re pretty amazing.

5.)  Trust your gut

Charlotte knew something was wrong just before she married Trey, but her judgment was clouded because she so desperately wanted to be married. Basically, trust your instincts; they’re usually right.

6.)  Everything happens for a reason

Still, if Charlotte hadn’t married Trey, she wouldn’t have met Harry, and wouldn’t have found the love of her life.

7.)  Learn to pick yourself up and laugh at yourself

If Carrie can become fashion roadkill to Heidi Klum after wiping out on the fashion runway and still finish the catwalk, then you can too after falling down the Einstein’s steps.

8.)  Self-fulfilling prophecies

In season two, Carrie convinces herself that all men are freaks—but in an effort to prove her adorable date is crazy, she becomes the crazy one. It’s important to not think the worst of a situation, or you will be the one to create the scenario you were dreading.

9.)  Enjoy your single days

These are the days you’ll look back on with your girlfriends and laugh about for years to come, so make the most of them!

10.)  Know your expectations and your deal breakers

Just like Charlotte knew she couldn’t deal with a bad kisser, you should know what it is that you want from any relationship—including friendships—and what you cannot put up with.

11.)  Treat others the way you want to be treated

Remember when Carrie cheated on the kind, trusting Aidan because she got sucked back in by Big? Don’t be that girl. Treat others—whether that be spouses or friends—the way you want to be treated.

12.)  Be Samantha when Carrie told her about her affair with Big

Carrie: “Don’t you want to judge me, just a little bit?”

Samantha: “Not my style.”

The kinds of friends you should never let go of in life are those who stand by you through thick and thin, sans judgment, because we all make mistakes.

13.)  Don’t sweat the small stuff

Carrie panics and snaps out at Aidan when her computer crashes and she loses all of her work—but the show puts this into perspective when Miranda’s mother passes away. Essentially, put your difficulties into perspective and remember what is important in life (hint: it’s not your material things).

14.)  Don’t make snap judgments about other people

It’s easy to make quick judgments about other people, but oftentimes those swift size-ups are wrong. You know what they say about assuming things. Remember when Bobby Fine told Carrie and the girls that he was marrying Bitsy, and Carrie burst out laughing and looked totally ignorant? Carrie is an admirable character, but not quite in that scene.

15.)  Life and your friends

Life is all about making mistakes and learning lessons from them, but you will never be alone in your journey if you surround yourself with people who love and support you. So, say thank you to the Mirandas, Samanthas, and Charlottes in your life, and go kill it, girl!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16

Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.