This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Spring break may be over, but that does not mean you can’t start planning your next big trip. A few weeks back I traveled to unique Austin, Texas; full of great eats, activities, and shopping, this city is sure to have something for everyone. Here are 15 must-try things that’ll make prepping for your next expedition a breeze.

Eat Tacos

First and foremost, if you are headed to Austin, prepare to eat some amazing Tex-Mex. My fav spot? Chuy’s. With its multiple locations, it’s a great choice.

Take Pics at all the Mural Walls

Austin has some great mural walls all over the city. Make sure to schedule in some time to take pictures in front of the famous “I love you so much” wall outside of Jo’s Coffee, and the “You’re My Butter Half” mural, too.

Paddle boarding or kayaking on the lake

Are you more of an adventure seeker? Head down to Lady Bird Lake, where you can rent stand up paddleboards and kayaks by the hour. Included free: the incredible view of the city skyline.

Hike

Not much of a water sport enthusiast but still like being outdoors? Head out for a hike to the 360 Bridge overlook or to Mount Bonnell for stunning views of Lake Austin.

Shop

Home to big-name jewelry brand Kendra Scott, tons of vintage shops, and plenty of artistic boutiques, Austin is the perfect place to shop ‘til you drop. Make sure to check out South Congress Avenue (“SOCO,” as the locals call it).

The University of Texas at Austin

While in town, make sure to take a trip to famous UT’s beautiful campus, and maybe pick up one of their iconic burnt orange Longhorn shirts, too.  

Eat some BBQ

Traveling to Texas without indulging in some barbeque feels like a crime! Make sure to make a quick stop for some comfort food. I’d recommend Rudy’s for breakfast (who knew breakfast tacos were a thing?!), lunch, or even dinner.

Ice Cream

Austin is known for its city-specific chain eateries—Amy’s Ice Cream being one of the most well-known. Make sure to order a cup or cone with one of their famous “Crush-ins.” Employees will crush up your favorite candies and cookies by hand and mix ‘em into a homemade ice cream flavor of your choice. I chose mocha peanut butter with Kit-Kat.

Chain Restaurants

Like mentioned earlier, various chain restaurants can be found in Austin that aren’t really available anywhere else. Pick up a sandwich at Schlotzsky’s, a burger and shake at P. Terry’s, or a taco at Torchy’s.

Zilker Park

After all that eating, it may be a good time to head out for a walk! Check out Austin’s famous Zilker Park, where you’ll be sure to see tons of cute dogs hanging out at the park (see @zilkerbark on Insta for confirmation of this).

Capital

Not only is Austin home to great food, fun shopping, and great outdoor activities, it’s also the capital of Texas! Make sure to drive by the statuesque Capital Building, located in the heart of the city on Congress Avenue.

Hope Outdoor Gallery/”Graffiti Park”

Austin has no shortage of great photo ops. Besides its many murals, Hope Outdoor Gallery is also a great place to take a picture in front of unique artwork with a fabulous view of the skyline.

South Congress Bridge Bats

One quirky thing (of many) in Austin is the city’s bats. Yup! You read that right. Each night tons of bats fly out of the South Congress Bridge for feeding time, putting on an incredible show for viewers.

SXSW

Into music and film? Time your vacation right and buy tickets to SXSW, Austin’s mid-March music festival.

Catch a Movie at Alamo Drafthouse

Need a break from all the picture snapping, taco eating, and vintage store shopping? Stop at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema for a meal and a movie.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16

Haley M

Bentley '20

Marketing major and Law and Sociology double minor at Bentley University.
Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.