10 Classic Thanksgiving Foods, Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Thanksgiving: it’s one of the best holidays to get together with your family and friends and celebrate all that you’re thankful for. Thanksgiving is also the holiday that is known for a variety of foods—some better than others. Here is a list of some classic Thanksgiving dishes, ranked from worst to best.

10) Green bean casserole

I’m not sure why so many people make this on Thanksgiving; it’s like they’re trying to hide the fact that you’re eating green beans. Don’t let the fried onions fool you—this Thanksgiving staple is definitely at the bottom of the list.

9) Vegetables

These are a pretty safe bet. Plain vegetables are usually “what you see is what you get,” but its Thanksgiving, and there are so many better dishes to enjoy!

8) Turkey

Thanksgiving dinner always seems to be centered around the turkey. However, if not cooked perfectly, your turkey dinner might turn out very dry. Most people eat turkey for the sole reason that it’s Thanksgiving.

7) Sweet potatoes

The best part of eating sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving? The marshmallows on top.

6) Cranberry Sauce

Personally, I think this is a very underrated thanksgiving dish. Cranberry sauce is sweet and goes perfectly alongside your turkey and mashed potatoes. There are so many varieties to cranberry sauce—how can you go wrong?

5) Pillsbury Crescent rolls

A classic. Really any kind of roll or bread will do, but there is something about Pillsbury’s crescent rolls—they are so fluffy and buttery, yet flaky.

4) Pie

Pumpkin, apple, or pecan pie. They always make you feel like you’re taking a bite of fall. With so many varieties, it’s hard to go wrong.

3) Gravy

The best thing about gravy is that you can put it on almost anything at the Thanksgiving table. Dry turkey? Put some gravy on it! Mashed potatoes need a little something extra? Gravy is the way to go!

2) Stuffing

A Thanksgiving necessity. This savory side is filled to the brim with fall flavors and spices—the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving meal.

1) Mashed Potatoes

Easily the best part of Thanksgiving dinner, and really any holiday. Mashed potatoes are the fluffy and creamy side dish that everyone loves and cannot get enough of.

Did someone say leftovers?

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving dish? Share it below in the comments!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter. 
Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.