Why You Should Get Rid Of Your Keurig

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

K-Cups are extremely bad for the environment. They are incredibly un-recyclable and thousands of tons of waste is created every year because of it.

Keurig has been promising more environmentally friendly K-Cups for years now, but still has yet to make them. Now they are promising that the more recyclable cups will be available in the year 2020. In the meantime, there will still be millions of these little plastic cups in landfills. Not only are they bad for the environment, but they can also be harmful to you, the consumer. 

Running boiling water through the plastic can lead to BPA and other harmful chemicals getting into your cup of coffee, and could cause many heath problems down the road. “Exposure to BPA is a concern because of possible health effects of BPA on the brain, behavior and prostate gland of fetuses, infants and children. Additional research suggests a possible link between BPA and increased blood pressure” (Mayo Clinic). This is also why you should never microwave plastic! 

Although some brands of these cups claim to be BPA free, studies have shown that there still can be dangerous chemicals. 

Not only can you save the environment and yourself, but you can also save your wallet! K-Cup users spend significantly more than their average coffee-making counterparts: Up to 5 times more!!! Luckily there are great options for switching to a different method to get that cup of Morning Joe. You could do with the traditional coffee pot, which can be found for as little as $20 at Target (but, I personally like to spend a little extra to get the programmable ones that make your coffee automatically). There is also a very cheap and easy (and dorm-friendly) way to make coffee called the pourover. Just add headed water to a funnel-like device to get coffee quickly! If you are still and avid Keurig fan, try opting for the metal reusable K-Cups!  

These are all great reasons to get rid of your Keurig! Share your story with #killthecup.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Jordan is a double major in entrepreneurship and economics at Belmont University. She is a Nashville native who loves exploring the coffee shops in Nashville. She is also a singer-songwriter who enjoys playing at venues around town . Her favorite pastimes include making music with friends, vlogging, yoga, traveling, videography, and writing.