This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

My boyfriend and I met in high school when we were dance partners in show choir. Three and a half years and two colleges later, we are still together. People normally say “Wow! What’s that like?” My normal response is “It’s great!” The truth is, it’s hard and complicated, but even so, it’s great.

Even though our birthdays are two days apart, we were even born in the same year, he was still a school year ahead of me. August birthdays are weird like that. So when it came time for him to go to college I brought up the possibility of breaking up so he could go live the “normal college life”. He didn’t want to hear it. He said he loved me and nothing would change that, not even college girls…and he was right.

When it came time for my graduation, I ended up at the same university as him, which wasn’t the original plan. We had an amazing year together, but then I transferred universities. Belmont University is nine hours away from my home so we sat down and checked in with each other. Yes, we loved each other, no, we didn’t wanna break up, and yes, long distance was going to suck. A year after my transfer, we are still together and still in love. Everyday  is a challenge and I won’t pretend that I’m not counting the days till I can see him again but we make it work. Facetime is a God send and we try to talk at least once a day. Through all the ups and downs we choose to stay together and we are happier for it.

My name is Brittany Best and I'm a writer for Belmont University's HerCampus Chapter! I love writing and researching many different topics. This is my first writing job but not my first time as a writer! I've written multiple essays and papers that have gone on to win high achievements in academic competitions in my hometown. I am currently a commercial voice here at Belmont and before I studied voice for 11 years. I have also been in a relationship for 3 years in which 1 1/2 years has been long distance. I'm girl for advice on how to make long distance work and how to keep a relationship fun! I'm also your girl for all things singing and music related!