The Roommate Situation- Goods, Not-So-Goods, and Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

One of my biggest concerns over my first-semester college was my roommate situation, hands down. I had no idea what to expect, and I had never met my roommate until move-in, so I was terrified- were they cool? Were they clean? Were they early risers? Did they like good food? Were they kind of uptight? Did they want to be friends? THE AMOUNT OF THINGS I DON’T KNOW ABOUT THIS PERSON IS OVERWHELMING.

I mean you’re supposed to wait a decent amount of time before moving in with a significant other, but college thinks it’s a cool idea to throw you in a room with a complete stranger THE DAY Y’ALL MEET. Like, what?

Needless to say, it’s a weird situation, and yet it’s also one that most of us will have at least once in our lives. In fact, 33% of major city populations claim to currently have at least one roommate, with bigger cities like Los Angeles falling at almost 47% in 2012, according to Forbes.com.  Whether it be the traditional college dorm situation where you’re sharing a room with someone, sharing a few-bedroom apartment, or renting a house together, we all go through it. And although there are a ton of horror stories (I have MANY), most people are pretty cool and you’ll love it. Here are the greatest parts about when you really click with your roommate, plus some tips to deal with the harder parts of having one.

1. Say hello to your new binge watching compadre.

THE GOODS: On the first day of one of my classes, they did the stereotypical “tell us about yourself” moment, we had to tell the class our name, our major, our class year, and what we binge watched over break. Clearly, most people binge watch TV shows and just like most of us, will have a roommate. The good news? Your roommate can basically become your binge watch accountability partner. Friends don’t want to come over? Fine. This person LIVES WITH YOU, so the TV isn’t too far for them either. You’ll never feel like you’ve abandoned your social duties as a functioning member of society. You camp out on that couch and you watch that next season of The Office. YOU DESERVE IT.

THE NOT-SO-GOODS: Well all good things must come to an end, but unfortunately no one remembers that when your New Girl marathon is only two seasons in. The not-so-good of this one is definitely that, unlike your friends, your roommate actually doesn’t have to leave, like, ever because it’s their house (what are responsibilities?). Truly, you may never turn off Netflix. And although that’s okay, homework and other work is a thing (it’s not fair, I know).

TIP: Do your homework while you binge-watch! It’s not a fool-proof plan, but are you really going to stop watching after this episode? You’re more likely to focus your attention on your work if you have at least some notebooks or your laptop out, you feel me?

2. Also say hello to your new favorite dinner partner.

THE GOODS: It can literally be impossible to make plans with people, let alone choosing a restaurant that everyone wants. Your roommate is your new ultimate dinner date. Chances are if you’re both hanging around the house, y’all will want to go to the Caf together. Or you can make dinner. Or y’all can order pizza in. Either way it’s the best because you don’t necessarily have to make plans. Your roommate is there for you and she gets that you’re craving the Caf quesadillas.

THE NOT-SO-GOODS: My roommate from sophomore year and I would literally walk out to the living room every other night and ask if the other wanted to go to Panda Express or order cookie delivery. IT WAS GLORIOUS BUT WE WENT BROKE. What are you going to tell your roommate- ‘oh, I’m busy? Oh, I’m not home watching Friends?’ Don’t kid yourself, you’re going to Panda Express because she can literally see right through your lies. So definitely a downfall.. but is it really?

TIP: JUST SAVE SOME STINKIN’ MONEY. No but really. Try eating in and cooking things more than going to Panda Express everyday.  

3. You’ll never feel alone!

GOODS: I’m one of those people who loves to be the lone wolf, but I also love having people around. Unless your roommate/roommates are never home, you’re never really all alone which is kind of nice!

THE NOT-SO-GOODS: I’m a people person and have loved a lot of my roommates, but I am definitely someone who also needs time to myself, which can definitely be hard when you’re sharing the same room with someone.

TIPS: Find other places to study or just relax, just in case you ever feel like you need to get away for a bit. It also helps to have a space in your room/apartment that you know will always be your space where you can be comfortable. Whether that be your room or just your desk area, it’s helpful to have a place you know will always be yours.

4. You get to share the chores load.

THE GOODS: If you had the choice between doing all the chores or half/a third/ a quarter of the chores, what would you choose?

I thought so.

THE NOT-SO-GOODS: Sometimes you have a roommate who just doesn’t clean as much as you do. Which kind of stinks if you’re more of the clean type.

ADDITIONALLY if you are not the clean type, your roommate totally knows who hasn’t washed their dishes for a straight week.

TIPS: My sophomore year roommates and I created a cleaning schedule, so we were really only cleaning the bathroom once a month and the kitchen once a month. The workload stayed light but the common areas stayed clean!

5. You guys bond over shared commonalities.

THE GOODS: Just like a friend group or a school club or relationship, your roommate will share experiences with you that no one else can relate to. They get your suspiciousness of the neighborhood cat, they’re always down for talking crap about the annoying quirks of your neighbor, they know how cool your RA is, and they can totally relate with your hate for the sketchy broken bathroom sink faucet. You guys have to live with a lot of the same stuff and it’s truly a bonding phenomenon.

THE NOT-SO-GOODS: Well if your roommate doesn’t want to talk to you, that could be a problem.

TIPS: Find a roommate that likes you if possible. If not, all of the quirks of your living situation (like examples mentioned above) are great conversation starters!

At the end of the day, it’s almost kind of like family. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, you’re kind of stuck with them for a little bit. And love it or hate it, you’ll end up at least somewhat loving them.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram!