Meet HC Belmont:Cassandra McLaughlin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Name: Cassandra McLaughlin

Year: Junior

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Major/ Minor: Entertainment Industry Studies (Entertainment Journalism focus) / music minor: Classical Percussion Performance

Role at HC Belmont: Writier

What are your interests and hobbies?

I love reading/writing (esp. poetry), fitness (running/hiking/biking/yoga), travelling, painting/sculpting (and other crafty things), cooking, percussion, seeing live music

What are you involved in/off-campus?

BU CHAARG and Percussion Ensemble; Music City Mystique; I teach local drumlines

Why did you choose Belmont?

I felt compelled to fulfill my dream of playing in the incredible competitive percussion ensemble Music City Mystique, and Belmont was in Nashville as well as a highly esteemed music school, so it seemed like a perfect fit.

Any Role Models? Why?

My dad, because he’s taught me several life lessons I hold dear: 1) integrity is the most important quality a person can have; 2) always follow your dreams no matter what, don’t worry about money or any other limitations, things will always work themselves out; and 3) it’s never too late to start over (you’re also never too old to make mistakes). Thanks, Dad, for always keepin’ it real.

What is your favorite spot at Belmont? In Nashville?

At Belmont, the walkway behind Patton (the lights, the brick/grass display, the smell of the laundry; In Nashville, 12th South because it has everything I need all on one street (cupcakes, pizza, popsicles, burgers, smoothies, tacos, donuts… and Fork’s Drum Closet!) My favorite place in Tennessee is Gaitlinburg and The Smoky Mountains.

Fun fact about me:

I’m obsessed with taking care of things, even when I can barely take care of myself sometimes… so I have way too many plants and one crazy little bunny.

What is your favorite thing about HC?

The fact that its focus is college women because, let’s be real, we need the most attention and the most help. It’s great to have a support system with other young woman writing articles about relatable things we’re dealing with on a day-to-day basis! And now I get to be a part of that support system

Favorite Quote?

“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Favorite Food?

It’s a tie between coffee ice cream and deep dish pizza <3

Favorite Movie?

She’s the Man

Favorite Song?

Exxus by Glass Animals

What’s something you wish more people knew about you?

I’m a lot more introverted and shy than people might think. But I’m also very loyal, honest, and transparent.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Born and raised in Louisville, KY, Sarah came to Belmont as a member of the class of 2019. Sarah joined the Her Campus Belmont team as a chapter contributor her sophomore year and took over as President just a few months later. While you'll find her studying corporate communications and theatre during school, in her free time she enjoys hot yoga, bingeing Game of Thrones, and working to make her chapter the absolute best it can be.