This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

The phrase “small but mighty” perfectly describes Laura Couzens. As a sophomore nursing major, Laura recently joined ROTC in hopes of one day becoming a military nurse. Her willingness to go the extra mile for anyone and the constant love she shows for others are what make her an amazing friend to everyone she meets, and what will one day make her an even better military nurse. This week I had the chance to talk to Laura about her experience with ROTC and how it has influenced her life. Check out my interview with Laura below!

Why did you decide to become a part of ROTC? 

I realized that this life is not my own and that whatever I do, I want to serve others. While one can serve others doing nearly anything, military is a very direct way of serving God, my country, and my brothers and sisters. Joining ROTC was the next step in the direction of my dream to serve as a military nurse. 

What does a normal week look like for you? 

As far as ROTC goes, I currently attend physical training sessions three times a week and have military science class and lab once a week. 

What is the best part about being in ROTC? 

This past semester in ROTC, I have learned that we are capable of a lot more than we realize. Being surrounded by others who inspire and encourage you to be your best is really empowering. There have been times this semester where I have been physically and mentally exhausted from the intensity of nursing classes as well as other challenges that come with being a college student, however, being surrounded by others who are presented with these same challenges as well pushes me to continue striving for excellence. 

Have you faced any challenges since you started ROTC? 

I have learned that nothing worth pursuing will ever be easy. I have to wake up every day, look at myself in the mirror, and ask myself “what can I do TODAY to be one step closer to my dream? What can I do TODAY to serve those around me?” Each day is precious and valuable. Each day I rise and remind myself who I am and what is important to me, and I do my best to conduct myself in a way that reflects those values. It isn’t easy, and some days will always be harder than others. But it is how you handle those hard days that counts.

What are some lessons you have learned?

I have also learned how important it is to surround yourself with eagles. I have had sweet fellowship around the dinner table with incredible women pursuing military nursing careers in the Army, Navy, and Air Force ROTC, and this has taught me that inspiration comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, and voices. It is powerful to surround yourself with other women who have similar goals and values, but are each unique and special.

What do you like to do when you have free time? 

When I have free time, I love to write, play, and listen to music! It is hard to stay away from my guitar for too long, attending school right in the middle of Nashville! Though my life took a plot twist after changing my major from songwriting to nursing, I still play and write just as much if not more than I did before. Learning new things and diverse experiences have definitely given me plenty of writing inspiration. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram!

Kaylinn is a Corporate Communication major at Belmont University located in Nashville, Tennessee. She loves shopping, watching reality tv, and eating pizza. She likes talking politics, but can also hold an equally compelling conversation about the Kardashians. She dreams of traveling the world and living in Italy with her little sister.