This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Katherine Ramirez is a perfect example of someone who takes advantage of all of life’s opportunities. As a sophomore Music Business major, Kat has already been involved in a wide array of activities that have allowed her to excel at Belmont and within the Nashville community.  From the Belmont Showcase Series, to the Curb Café, to music venues all around Nashville, Kat knows what is going on and gets involved in anyway she can. Take it from someone who lives with her, she literally keeps tabs on everything. She even knows what the caf serves for dinner every night!

I get to see Katherine “in action” all the time, but for those of you who don’t, I thought I would give you all some insight into what she does and how she can help you get involved in the Belmont community. This week I asked her some questions about her job at Belmont and other things she does in hopes of providing y’all with some ideas about how to be an active member of this beautiful place we call home.  

What is your job here on campus?

I work as the Event Manager for the Curb Café. I’m in charge of booking Belmont bands to play at the venue Monday through Friday. I’m also in charge of booking seven shows a semester at Rocketown, a music venue downtown, for student artists to get even more experience performing at a next-level venue.

Has this job taught you anything significant?

One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned so far is that communication is key. While coming across as professional is always important, in the entertainment industry especially, a friendly attitude is also essential.

You’re also involved in the Belmont Showcase Series. What role do you play there?

My freshman year I started volunteering for the Showcase Series on the production staff. I had a blast getting to learn about different aspects of lighting, video, and live events in general, so I decided to apply for a leadership role to get even more involved. This year I’ll be the Associate Producer for the 2017 Best of the Best Showcase!

What is your favorite part of Showcase?

My favorite part about Showcase is the community there. It doesn’t matter how much previous knowledge you have in live production, upper classmen and staff are always eager to help you learn.

What are some fun things you’ve done in Nashville since moving here?

I love live music, so I try to soak up as much of that as I can while here in Nashville. Some highlights have been seeing shows at Live on the Green and the Ryman. I also volunteered at the Pilgrimage Music Festival!

Who is your favorite artist/band? 

Hard question! My mom has great taste in music and introduced me to the wonders of classic rock. Some of my favorites include Crosby Stills and Nash, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Simon and Garfunkel, and Supertramp. As far as newer music goes I’m a big fan of Elle King, The Lone Bellow, and The Lumineers.

Do you have any advice for people looking to get more involved at Belmont/ in the Nashville community?

I’d say the best thing to do is just get out and start volunteering whether it’s through an organization in Nashville that you’re passionate about, or one of the great CEMB organizations here at Belmont. If you show up, work hard and have a good attitude, you’d be surprised how far you can get.

If you’d like to play at the Curb Café, you can get in contact with Kat by emailing her at curbcafebooking@belmont.edu. To find out more about the Belmont Showcase Series follow @BelmontShowcase on Twitter and @cembshowcase on Facebook! 

Kaylinn is a Corporate Communication major at Belmont University located in Nashville, Tennessee. She loves shopping, watching reality tv, and eating pizza. She likes talking politics, but can also hold an equally compelling conversation about the Kardashians. She dreams of traveling the world and living in Italy with her little sister.