How to Survive A Relationship: Whether Hours Or Countries Apart!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

I’ve been in a relationship for 3 years now, and a year and half of my relationship has been long distance. I recently went from going to college with my boyfriend who I met in high school to transferring to a college nine hours away. On top of that, my boyfriend is doing a semester abroad in Italy. Dealing with this has taught me tons of new ways to make long distance work! 

Moving to Nashville was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever made. Not only because I was leaving my family, but I was leaving my boyfriend behind. Being apart was hard after spending an entire year going to college together, but we eventually found out what works best.

There are tons of apps like Skype and Snapchat out there, but small lesser known apps such as Tine are great too! Tine is an app that sends you little QR sticker tags in the mail after you sign up, and, through the app, you can film little videos of yourself that attach to the QR code. This app is great when you’re sending care packages or letters to one another because you can scan the sticker and see a special message from your significant other. It makes the letters even more special! If your S.O is countries away like mine, video chatting and texting apps are a God send! My best friend and most used app right now is Viber – it’s a free calling and texting app and is great for overseas. Viber is a combination of texting and calling and bombarding each other with adorable free stickers! It truly is a great app for keeping in touch.

That being said, one of the best tips I can give is to try to video chat or talk on the phone for at least ten to fifteen minutes a day. It’s not the same as being face-to-face, but it’s pretty darn close! Being able to talk to your S.O. and see their face is what can make or break a relationship. I know it makes me feel closer to my boyfriend when I see his eyes light up as he talks about the new places he visited in Italy.

A quirky thing that Matt and I do while we’re apart is pin things together on Pinterest! I know it sounds funny, but it’s actually great. We set up either private or public boards that we both can pin on and go to town! We mostly send each other goofy articles or funny pictures, but sometimes he sends pins of the things he couldn’t take pictures of in Italy or recipes inspired by the places he’s been and vice versa. It makes us feel closer together, and like we are actually there with each other.

My final two things are small, but essential. One of the major things that keeps us motivated as a couple is the thought of being together again. We keep this alive in our minds as we make plans. We have a vacation planned, camping trips, concerts, baseball games, and so much more, and talking about all that reminds me how I couldn’t imagine doing any of those things without my S.O.

Also, make sure you say “I love you” and “I miss you” at least once a day. Hearing your S.O. say those words can warm your heart, and turn a bad day into a good one! Long distance relationships are hard and complicated whether you’re miles or countries apart. However, with a few quirky methods, some fun websites, and amazing apps, the distance doesn’t have to be so far. In the end, distance makes your love grow stronger and makes the reunion that much sweeter!

My name is Brittany Best and I'm a writer for Belmont University's HerCampus Chapter! I love writing and researching many different topics. This is my first writing job but not my first time as a writer! I've written multiple essays and papers that have gone on to win high achievements in academic competitions in my hometown. I am currently a commercial voice here at Belmont and before I studied voice for 11 years. I have also been in a relationship for 3 years in which 1 1/2 years has been long distance. I'm girl for advice on how to make long distance work and how to keep a relationship fun! I'm also your girl for all things singing and music related!