How to Stick to your New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

It’s that time of year again. A new year means a new you, right? So you make huge resolutions that will transform you into your dream self. But there’s a catch. Because most people have a hard time sticking to their resolutions, here are four ways to help you stick to that resolution and get you one step closer to your goal. 

1. Make your resolution manageable…

We all want to aim for the stars going into a new year, but the key to sticking to your resolution is to pare it down to a manageable goal. You don’t want to make your goal something that might take two years to achieve. If your goal is too lofty, then you’ll have a hard time sticking to it because it seems unattainable. You want your goal to be something that you can figure out with concrete steps in a reasonable amount of time. 

2. Take baby steps through the year…

Now that your goal has been scaled down to reality, it’s time to think about how you’re going to make it happen. The best way to approach something that you want to change or do is to work yourself up to accomplishing your resolution. Is your goal to lose those extra pounds from Christmas dessert and get into tiptop spring shape by exercising? You’re not going to be able to run 5 miles on the treadmill when you’re starting out on day one. Try making your first goal to run a mile by the end of the first month, then two by month 2 and so on. Or maybe you want to read more. Don’t make yourself finish a book a week. Instead, read a little every night before you go to bed and make it your goal to finish a book a month. Taking your resolution in baby steps keeps you from getting overwhelmed. 

3. Find a buddy… 

Things are always more fun when you have someone to do them with. So why not apply this to your resolution? Try to find a friend who wants to achieve the same goal or at least something similar. This will help you to stay accountable to your goal and your friend while making it a little more fun, especially if it’s something that you’re not excited about doing. For example, if you and your resolution buddy are trying to become better cooks, you can assign each other a recipe per month or week and see whose dish comes out best. It’s both a fun and practical way to get closer to your shared goals. 

4. Finally, stay positive…

Making changes is hard and it’s easy to start to feel like you’re not getting anywhere with your resolution. That being said, don’t give up! After all, according to a new study by the University College London, it takes 66 days to form a new habit. So when you feel like your resolution just isn’t sticking, remember that it might just need more time. Make time for your goal in your schedule and periodically remind yourself why you decided to make that resolution. Stay positive and stick to those resolutions! 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram!

Madeline is a senior at Belmont University in Nashville and a lifelong Tennessean. She is majoring in Entertainment Industry Studies with a minor in Business Administration. She loves binge watching dramas on Netflix, going to Predators games, and spending time with family and friends.