How to Avoid the Finals Plague of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

You know what just sucks? Finals. You know what sucks even more? Being sick during finals. Lo and behold, 2016 still seems to be in the giving spirit as it has graced our campus with a plague. Not just any plague though, a finals plague. We have a week to cram in last minute Netflix, partying, and fun of any kind before having to face the hell that is finals. And are we just going to let this disease stop us? I don’t think so! So If we want to spend our last week of freedom free and not miserably downing in Dayquil, we need to take care and follow these steps.

Clean

Maybe you haven’t gotten the sniffles yet, but that doesn’t mean your roomie hasn’t. We share a lot as roommates, and that can actually include disease. Even if you’re in an apartment style dorm, going to your separate spaces doesn’t mean you’re safe. It is vital that you give everything a good, anti-bacterial wipe down. Sanitation of one’s living space is commonly overlooked when it comes to disease prevention. Besides, your place will look so nice and clean afterwards, and a tidy space is a tidy mind!

Eat Right

This one can be a bit more of a challenge if you primarily sustain yourself off of a meal plan. Sodexo isn’t the worst ever… but they aren’t great, especially if you have any dietary restrictions. Your best bet is to really seek out as many greens as you can. There’s usually always something in the vegetarian line (if it isn’t closed for the basketball team. #bitter), and the salad bar has some decent options as long as you stay light with the dressing. In a rush? Check out the soup selection to see what they’re offering, and make sure to grab some fruit. It also wouldn’t hurt to use some hand sanitizer on the way in/out.

P.S. be wary of pancake night. No one wants to relive the food poising catastrophe of 2015.

Sleep

You know, sleep just seems to be the magic cure for everything. It is, in fact, directly connected to the immune system. So why is it that we’re up until 3am watching Tastemade videos? For as much as college students say that they love to sleep, we sure seem to neglect it an awful lot. So I’m going to challenge you. Tonight, after you finish your work, just go to bed. Turn off your laptop, put down your phone, and close your eyes. I mean, who ever said, “Wow, I really regret getting eight hours of sleep last night”? No one. Ever.

Stay Hydrated

As a coffee addict, I too am guilty of caffeine-induced dehydration. Of course, we would never ask you to give up your beloved peppermint mocha. However, we do advise you bring a water bottle as well. The key is to sip throughout the day, not chug all at once. Avoid water fountains at all costs, as they are known to harbor a lot of germs and bacteria.

No Sharing

This one should be a given, but just so it’s clear, no sharing. Of any kind. Under any circumstances. Ever. Just don’t, okay?

Stay strong collegiettes. Enjoy your last week of freedom, and go show those finals who’s boss!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and love us on Instagram 

Born and raised in Louisville, KY, Sarah came to Belmont as a member of the class of 2019. Sarah joined the Her Campus Belmont team as a chapter contributor her sophomore year and took over as President just a few months later. While you'll find her studying corporate communications and theatre during school, in her free time she enjoys hot yoga, bingeing Game of Thrones, and working to make her chapter the absolute best it can be.