Gorgeous is Exactly What We’ve Been Waiting For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Taylor Swift dropped the third single off of her upcoming album Reputation titled “Gorgeous” this past Friday and it is just what we’ve all been waiting for from her upcoming album, set to drop on November 10th.

The song reveals the same Taylor we have all come to know and love with the same genre change that we have come to expect from “Look What You Made Me Do” and “…Ready For It?”

The song still shows a brand new side of Taylor though, with mentions of being drunk, whiskey and clubbing, which are all very different topics than the old Taylor would ever sing about. But following this single we can be sure that the parts of Tayor we all love are still there, from the already classic line “guess I’ll just stumble on home to my cats, alone” to the xylophone centered beat that vaguely resembles “Clean” from 1989, our favorite parts of Taylor all come through in this song.

The production of the song is very much on theme with the past two single releases but the catchy melody and seamless lyrics remind me more of Taylor’s Red days, which is rather fitting since the song was penned by Taylor, Max Martin, and Shellback, who were both very prominent writers on Red. This track has given me a renewed hope that Taylor may have completely changed her image but her songwriter roots are still very prominent in her music and lyrics. I think most people would agree that this is the jam we have all been waiting for and the ones who say they don’t like this song are probably lying.

The rebranding of Taylor will continue in full motion but she will always be the same Taylor we have grown up with, minus her country side. Slowly but surely the stereotype of Taylor’s music only being for teenage girls who cry about boys in their bedroom seems to be disappearing as her rebranding is appealing to more and more people. The genre change is making Taylor’s music more accessible to the culture of 2017, she is adapting and changing and looking dang good while doing it. So if, like me, you’ve been in denial about who the new Taylor is it’s time to jump on the bandwagon and jam out to “Gorgeous” with the rest of us.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Belmont Class of 2021, Worship Leadership. Michigan raised, singer, songwriter, poet. Mental Health Advocate. ALWAYS be kind.