This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

It’s February.  The optimistic, I-can-do-anything days that kicked off 2017 are now a distant memory.  The reality of school and work has set in, and the gym routine you so meticulously planned just didn’t quite make it to your daily schedule.  You vow to try again next year and order extra chips and guac and call it a day.

Sound familiar?  That’s been me, every single year for as long as I can remember…until now.  Healthy living doesn’t have to start in January, and it doesn’t have to end in February.

In June, I had the realization that filling my body with toxins was doing nothing good for me, physically and mentally.  I cut out sugar, gluten, and dairy for 30 days to try and “reset” myself, but never imagined it would actually change my lifestyle.  Being healthier is neither a temporary fix nor an easy change to make. The more I’ve changed my habits, the more I’ve realized it’s a change in mindset, a change in priorities, and a change in the way I live my life.

If you’re looking to make a healthy change in your life, check out websites like Nutrition Stripped and The Healthy Maven.  The minute you stop making healthy eating a chore, the minute it becomes fun.  It isn’t counting calories or macros or restricting yourself to certain foods.  It’s filling your body with the foods it was made to process.

Healthy eating doesn’t have to be boring, either.  I haven’t had a salad in MONTHS.  Tacos in lettuce or corn tortillas are my go-to, and I eat more quinoa than I ever imagined was possible.  Smoothies are my favorite breakfast, and I’ve been known to eat an omelet for all 3 meals.

Since I’ve cleaned up my diet (even though I eventually added small amounts sugar and dairy back in), I’ve been so much happier.  I’m not sluggish by mid-day from a sugar filled breakfast.  My acne is under control.  My anxiety isn’t through the roof.  And I’ve never been more comfortable in my own skin.

Read blogs.  Find yourself an accountability partner.  Allow yourself to have a sweet treat once a week.  Don’t beat yourself up when you mess up.  Learn to fill your plates with broccoli and grilled chicken.  Teach yourself how to cook quinoa.  

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

A freshman at Belmont University, Sarah Sholar is pursuing her dream to work in the entertainment industry with full force. Born and raised in small-town North Carolina, she is working to make her spot in a big city. Her loves include Taylor Swift, baking, watercolor painting, and attending every concert within a thirty mile radius.