This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Before our Thanksgiving meal every year, my grandma used to make us go around the room and say why we were thankful for the person beside us. I never liked this tradition. Why were we wasting time being all “lovey” towards each other, when there was a giant bowl of mashed potatoes calling my name? I think it’s often easy to get caught up with all the hustle and bustle that goes into the holiday season. I know for me, holidays can get a little hectic as I move from one family gathering to the next. You want your holiday season to look like the happy ending of a Hallmark movie, and it’s easy to forget “the reason for the season.”

But as we enter into the holidays, it is important to think about why we are thankful. We are given a holiday that is centered around thankfulness, so why not take the opportunity to really evaluate our lives and the blessings that we have? Something so easy is often so hard to do when our minds are jam packed with to do lists longer than the line of traffic on Wedgewood. It’s important that during this time of year, we set aside time to recognize all of our blessings. Take a break from your worry and your stress and really pay attention to the friends and family that surround you.

As you sit in a turkey coma this year, instead of counting sheep, count your blessings. Throughout this month, I encourage you to practice thankfulness. Say thank you to people around you and cherish the small things that are blessings in your life. There are so many things to be thankful for and it’s easy to forget to recognize them sometimes. Be a light and show gratitude this holiday season. Don’t only recognize the things that you are thankful for, but actively show appreciation for all the people and things that make your life great.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Kaylinn is a Corporate Communication major at Belmont University located in Nashville, Tennessee. She loves shopping, watching reality tv, and eating pizza. She likes talking politics, but can also hold an equally compelling conversation about the Kardashians. She dreams of traveling the world and living in Italy with her little sister.