Book Review: “I Hate Everyone But You: A Novel”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

If you are into young adult fiction then I have your next read. I Hate Everyone But You: A Novel, just came out less than a month ago, but since then has been blowing up the literary scene, even becoming a New York Times bestseller. This is not your typical novel though. It is written through a series of texts and emails because the characters live almost 3,000 miles away.

It follows Ava Helmer and Gen Goldman, best friends who until now have spent seemingly every moment together. The novel follows their first year of college and the struggles of keeping a friendship alive when communication is limited.

Not only does the book follow a long distance friendship, but it also explores LGBTQ+ activism and mental disorders.

As a freshman myself, this was a powerful and very important read. It went by extremely fast and I was able to relate to a lot of the situations as they unfolded. There is a stigma around reading YA after a certain age but I think this is an important novel for anyone going through college, or for anyone who wants to reminisce on the good old days. It’s not just a good read because it’s funny or relatable, it also gets you thinking and engages you as a reader. “I Hate Everyone But You” left me thinking not only about my life, but how I fit into others.

The authors, Gaby Dunn and Allison Raskin, are real life best friends, and comedians who started a YouTube channel together called Just Between Us. On this channel they create skits and an advice show where viewers send in questions that they then answer, usually pretty terribly, but hilariously. They are also both journalists. This is their debut novel.

If you’re ever in a book rut this is a great one to pick up. It’s funny and witty but also has heart, the makings of some of the best novels. This is one that will be hard to put down, I promise.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Gabby joined Belmont as part of the class of 2021 after living in Louisville, Kentucky for 18 years. She is a chapter contributor and hopes to rise in the ranks someday soon. She is studying journalism, but also has interests in politics and law. If she isn't studying you can catch her reading, writing for Her Campus, working out, or eating some good local food.