7 Essential Fashion Trends to Kickoff the New Year in Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

The fireworks have fallen, champagne has been poured, and resolutions have been made. 2017 is now in full swing. Did your 2016 wardrobe have you in a slump? This year, rock these seven fashion trends so that you can conquer the New Year in style!

1. 90s Style

The 90s are back this year and better than ever! Luckily, there are a million ways you can channel that classic, laidback Rachel Greene style. The great thing about wearing this decade’s trends is that you probably already have some of the perfect pieces in your closet. One way you could wear this trend is by throwing a simple slip dress or a pair of distressed overalls over a white turtleneck or t-shirt to reach an ultimate 90s look. However, if you aren’t trying to fully commit try layering some dainty choker necklaces with your favorite outfit for a small 90s flair.

2. Holographic

This year, New Year’s Eve isn’t going to be the only time you get to wear sparkles. Add some fun to your outfits this year by including some holographic clothes – that is, a shiny silver color that reflects all different colors in the light. While this style can seem a little unrealistic for everyday life, it can be super wearable when introduced in small ways. To stay trendy this year, try adding a hint of hologram through a pair of slip-on’s or stylish nails.

3. Body Suits

Your going out style just got a 2017 revamp. Ditch the crop tops this year and reach for a sleek bodysuit instead. While a bodysuit will help you attain that flawless Kardashian style, it will also help to eliminate the hassle of crop tops riding up or having to keep tucking in shirts. Wear a bodysuit for a night in the city, a dinner with friends, or to a date night. Try pairing this style with your favorite with a pair of distressed jeans just like this outfit from Urban Outfitters.

4. Leopard Print

The new year is upon us, it is officially time to take the fashion risks you wish you took last year. This year, be daring and reach for a leopard printed statement piece. To follow this trend, look for bold pieces like a printed fur coat or skirt. When wearing a leopard print look, just be careful to keep the rest of the outfit simple, so that the printed piece gets all the attention it deserves.

5. Embellishment

It’s all about the details this year! Feel like you were in a clothing rut towards the end of the year? While sticking to the basic pieces you love to wear, update them by looking at versions with fun embellishments, such as beading or embroidery. Some of my favorite versions of this trend are embellished denim jackets (such as the Forever 21 jacket above), boyfriend jeans and booties, but you can really find them anywhere.

6. Sheer

Sheer is back this year in a brand new way. Chic up your 2017 by layering a sheer or mesh top, like the one above from Urban Outfitters,  over your favorite bralette, with an A-line skirt and a pair of killer heels or, for a more casual look, with some distressed boyfriend jeans. This look is super customizable for your comfort level because you will look stylish no matter what you layer it with, whether it is a tank top or lacy bralette.

7. Different Denim

This year, put your super worn stretch skinny jeans back in your closet. Skinny jeans (basically every girl’s uniform since middle school) are a thought of the past. This year, denim is being reborn. Instead of being your go-to basic, let denim transform into something more fun in your wardrobe. Try a pair of super distressed boyfriend jeans, a pair of jeans packed with embellishments, textures and details, or a sleek pair of vintage high-waisted bell bottoms. These are some examples from Levi and Forever21. It’s 2017, so let your creativity run wild and reach for a pair of denim jeans that push your outfit to the next level.

With 2016 in the past, and these seven trends to mix and match, you will never have to face wearing a lackluster outfit again. Now, collegiettes, it’s time to take on the New Year in style!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

I am a freshman journalism major at Belmont University, but was born and raised on the East Coast in Boston, MA. I am obsessed with all things fashion and beauty, my sorority Alpha Gamma Delta - Theta Tau, binge watching the show Friends, traveling to different places, listening to acoustic music, and drinking lattés from Nashville coffee shops. I also adore New York City and dream of working in the fashion industry there after college. Follow Hannah on Instagram @hannahbertolino