This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

While 2016 was a year filled with exciting moments in music, the new year has come along and brings with it the promise of new artists. Many artists were working tirelessly in 2016 and laid the groundwork toward becoming more recognized for their work. These are five artists you may have heard of but will most likely be seeing a lot more of in the coming year. 

Gnash

Gnash is the stage name for Garrett Charles Nash. Known primarily for his catchy raps and tradition of wearing circular sunglasses on stage, Gnash has gained a steady following after the release of three EPs titled u, me and us. Gnash hit mainstream radio for the first time last year with the release of “i hate u, i love u”, featuring Olivia O’Brien. This year you can catch him on the Sleepover Tour.

Jon Bellion

Jon is in no way new to the music scene. Along with the release of four mixtapes of his own and credits on Eminem and Rihanna’s “The Monster”, as well as on Jason Derulo’s “Trumpets”, Bellion is constantly working on something and 2016 was no exception. The release of his debut album, The Human Condition, saw major success on the Billboard charts. The year starts off with Bellion in the UK for tour, but be on the lookout for whatever he may be working on next. 

Zella Day

2015 saw the release of Zella Day’s debut album Kicker. Songs off of her album were picked up for numerous TV shows and movie soundtracks including an episode of Catfish: The TV Show and a spot on the official soundtrack for The Divergent Series: Allegiant. These successes lead to Day being able to play at the highly recognized Coachella music festival, as well as the Atlanta equivalent, Music Midtown. The end of 2016 brought new single releases from Day and there is sure to be more in store for 2017.

Bridgit Mendler

The first thought to come to your mind when you hear this name may be of the main character, Teddy Duncan, from Disney’s Good Luck Charlie. Bridgit has become known for a lot more than her role of Teddy through the release of her music and her more recent acting project on NBC’s Undateable. Her most recent release of the Nemesis EP seemed to reveal a darker tone that shows promise for an even more successful time for her in the music industry this year. 

Bad Suns

This band found success in the alternative genre with the debut album release of Language and Perspective in 2014 which included the Billboard hit “Cardiac Arrest”. 2015 lead them to a Coachella performance and wave of live performances continuing into 2016. Their most recent release, and sophomore album, Disappear Here has shown continued success and leads them into a new year of touring. An announcement that they will preform at Bonnaroo, one of Tennessee’s top music festivals, indicates a year filled with endless possibilities. 

Here’s to a new year packed with new artists, new tours and a renewed passion for discovering music!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram         

Megan is a second year student at Belmont University, located just outside of downtown Nashville. On any given day you can find her creating a Spotify playlist, jotting down some poetry or searching for a new vintage clothing store. If you go an entire conversation with her and don't hear something about her undying love for Elton John, you didn't talk to her long enough.