This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

“I’d like to think that there is a guy out there who thinks I’m actually worth trying for…”

As soon as I typed out these words in a text to my friend, tears began to well up in my eyes. When did it become okay for one person to treat another person like they didn’t matter, especially in a romantic situation? Isn’t our world cynical enough as is, without feeling like there isn’t someone out there who cares more than what’s deemed “cool”? People are so consumed with constantly being the one with the upper hand in the relationship that they forget what it even means to just be in a relationship.

And it’s not just me—or even just girls, for that matter. I know more people who are struggling in this sick power tug-of-war than who are actually enjoying the company of their significant others. It seems like not caring has become the ultimate relationship trend, and whichever party has mastered this has ultimately mastered the cat-and-mouse game that has now replaced dating. Sad, but true.

In my experience, I can wholeheartedly say that nonchalance is the harshest thing another person can dole out. I know that no one is a fan of fights, especially messy ones where words are said, tears spilt, and feelings hurt…but at least in that situation, you know that the relationship means enough to the both of you, right?

What does it say when one person doesn’t even care enough to verbalize their indifference? Ignoring a person until they go away isn’t the answer. If you’re not adult enough to understand how a relationship works, to understand that both people need to put in effort, then you shouldn’t be entering one.

Playing with hearts can be tricky business, and no one deserves the bitter end that’s inevitably to come. I’m positive that no one is a stranger to some form of heartbreak, and so I’m asking everyone to stop feeding into the idea that nonchalance is the key to success, and try a little harder. We’re all worth that much. 

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.