Why You Should Donate to Senior Class Gift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Tabling for the Senior Class Gift kicked off last week, and many of you have now seen the enthusiastic faces of Senior Class Gift committee members encouraging you to make a donation to the Senior Class Gift.   The Senior Class Gift is a tradition here at BC, where seniors have a chance to make a gift (of any size) to the program or organization that mattered most to them during their time here at the Heights. Why should you make your Senior Gift?

1. University Ranking

We all get excited when new reports are released listing Boston College as one of the top universities in the country, and rightly so—there is a lot of be proud of! But did you know that the percentage of alumni participation directly impacts the rank of a university in the U.S. News & World Report? This means that the higher the number of people who give back-regardless of the size of the donation- the higher BC can be ranked on the list.  In turn, this increases the value of your degree once you graduate.

2. Perks and Events

Did you miss out on the great Grilled Cheese Kickoff event last Thursday? Once you make your donation, you will be invited to all the Senior Class Gift events. These events are for seniors only, and are a great way to hang out with your friends and classmates during your final year at BC.  Plus, if you make your Senior Gift, you’ll receive a free “TH15 IS BC” t-shirt. We promise it’s unlike anything in the bookstore.  

3. Competition

At BC, it seems that everything is a competition regardless of whether or not it is an athletic endeavor. The Class of 2014 currently holds the record for the highest participation of any graduating class with 70% participation. We know the Class of 2015 can beat last year’s class—but we’ll need your help in hitting our goal of 73% (or 1,655 students). 

4. Eagles for Others

When making your Senior Gift, you can designate your gift to any department or organization on campus, which gives you the chance to give back to whomever or whatever made your time at BC especially memorable. Additionally, once our participation goal is reached a very generous trustee donates $25,000 to the Legacy Grants. These grants are available to undergrads at BC to help kick start a new project through additional funding of up to $2,500. 

Now that you know why participating in Senior Class Gift is important, you’re probably wondering how to make your gift.  Donating is incredibly easy!  You can stop by the table in Hillside any day of the week and make a donation using cash, Eagle Bucks, or a credit card. You can also donate at any of the events hosted by the Senior Class Gift Committee or online at www.bc.edu/2015give.  

Please contact any of the Senior Class Gift committee members (including myself) to talk more about the importance of Senior Class Gift!

Photo Sources

https://www.facebook.com/bcseniorgift2015/photos/pb.802907679753949.-2207520000.1412194335./809674539077263/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/bcseniorgift2015/photos/a.809317305779653.1073741826.802907679753949/809726312405419/?type=1&theater

Boston College student hailing from the Midwest. Senior Sociology major and International Studies minor. Fun-loving youngest in a set of triplets. Jewelry obsessed Chipotle enthusiast. Die hard Blackhawks fan who hopes to some day be as cool as Rachel Zoe (and have her closet).  
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.