Why I Love Going to College Near Boston!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

One of the main reasons why I chose Boston College was because it was a university that had its own campus while being 20 mins away from the city of Boston. I am from Westport, Connecticut which is a fairly small town but it is located an hour train ride to New York City, so growing up I have always had easy access to an urban area. However, Boston is far better than NYC and I will take anyone up on that. To me Boston is more historical and less crowded and dirty. People are hustling to work but it’s not the hustle like in New York where everyone looks miserable. Here is a closer look at some of the reasons why I love Boston.

1. The Financial District

This area in Boston is my favorite part to visit. Although, this car ride can be long because of Traffic (30 mins), the T is another form of transportation which will get you there in 45 minutes if you take the D line. This part of Boston has Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market and The Old State House which are three of my favorite places to visit. Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market have developed into a bustling tourist location where there is awesome food and great sight seeing. Boston is the heart of American History because of the American Revolution (Boston Tea Party/Tea Act, Stamp Act, etc.) and it is truly amazing to take a tour inside one of these buildings to see where the conferences took place in the late 1700s. The cobblestone streets and the aroma of food streaming from Quincy Market is such a great feeling. I like to go in the Spring when its nice but also in the Winter because Faneuil Hall puts on a light show with a christmas tree and its truly spectacular.

2. The New England Aquarium

To say that I love the Boston Aquarium is an understatement. I have been going here since I was a kid because every time we would go to Boston College football games we would also maange to get tickets for the aquarium. Usually, I get bored at them but this one is fun and interactive, and I still have the photo of me, my mom and sister with the shark backdrop hanging up in my room.

3. Duck Tours

Duck Tours are a quintessential part to Boston. The first time I went on one I think I was 5 years old and I was so fixated on how a car could be floating in water. The duck tour is a great chance to learn about Boston in a fun way while not just walking around. Basically what it is, is a boat with wheels so you start off by driving through the streets then you go down this ramp and the wheels disappear and suddenly you are floating on the Charles. You float into the Charles River aboard a WWII amphibious vehicle and learn about the heritage of the city that “gave birth to freedom.”  From the water you get views of Boston but also Cambridge!

4. Food

The food in Boston is so good. Whenever, my parents come and visit they have me pick a new place to try because there are so many options. I follow this foodie account on instagram called @bostonfoodies and that’s where I find delicious places for brunch and restaurants for dinner. Some of my favorite spots in Boston include Bodega Canal, Rosa Mexicano, Sorellina, Puro Bar, and Tiger Mama. These are a few of many great restaurants and what’s great is if you don’t feel like going out all the way into Boston, Newton Center has great restaurants too. Newton centre is located a mile from Mcelroy commons and Tartufo is really great Italian, Central is one of my favorites and same with Farmstead Table. Also, there are restaurants in Chestnut Hill square too! If you go to Boston College you will never be short on restaurants options if you want a break from the dining hall.

5. Red Sox Game / Patriots

Boston is no doubt the epitome of die hard sports fan. From the Red Sox game to the New England Patriots I have never experienced a place that has so much pride in their sports team. I went to my first Red Sox game this past fall and I love watching baseball but wouldn’t necessarily say I am a Red Sox fan, however being there for 3 hours I felt like one. The screams and the cheers for the home team and the crack of the bat with the smell of hot dogs emanating in the air; it is an experience like no other. The stadium is small and intimate and I was shocked when we took our seats how close we were. You might not know the fans next to you but it feels like you do because you are rooting for the same team. The New England Patriots are another team that people in Boston have an undying support for. When they lost the Superbowl this past year, it was as if a blanket of depression suffocated the student body at Boston College.

6. Boston Marathon

Lastly, the Boston Marathon makes going to school in Boston so special. This past Monday was the first marathon I attended and it was truly amazing. The weather was cold and rainy but that didn’t stop the students from cheering as loud as they could at mile 21. The runners who ran by were forcing smiles on their faces as the rain hit their face. However, you could tell how grateful and motivated they were by our screams of support. The Boston Marathon brings together the Boston College community but also friends, family and alumni.

I hope these reasons give you more motivation to come to Boston College because Boston is such a great city with so much to offer during college but also after.

Sources

https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2016/08/30/17/12/boston-1631460_1280.jpg

https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2013/03/03/15/04/boston-89575_1280.jpg

https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2016/12/27/19/29/fenway-park-1934662_1280.jpg

https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2017/01/01/15/45/running-1944798_1280.jpg

Hi! My name is Cameron Stonehouse and I am a Senior at Boston College. I have been apart of HerCampus since freshman year and have loved being apart of this organization. In my free time, I like to hang out with friends, read, and cook! My guilty pleasure is reality tv and popcorn :)
Vanessa is a senior at Boston College studying Economics and Communications. She is proud to be the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Boston College!