Why I Appreciate Veterans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Me, Rob, my other brother Tim, and his wife Sara at Rob’s graduation from Officer Candidate School.

Growing up, I never really cared about Veterans Day, or Memorial Day, or basically anything else that had to do with Veterans.  I thought it was great because I got a day off from school. I never cared until the day my brother Rob (A&S ’11) told me he was going to join the Navy—the day my life changed forever.

When I first heard the news, I cried.  I was terrified.  Thoughts of not knowing what to expect combined with Rob potentially going to war swirled around my head.  I thought I was going to lose him.

Rob’s drill competition we saw the day before his graduation.

When my Rob was shipped off to Officer Candidate School in Newport, RI, I was only able to communicate with him via snail mail for a while.  I became obsessed with checking OTC Newport’s Facebook page hoping that a new picture would be posted of him.  I had no idea what they were doing to him, whether or not he was enjoying himself, or whether or not he would even be able to make it through all of the training exercises (many people drop out during the first 4 weeks of the 13-week program). Traveling to his graduation was the most excited I had felt in a long time.  I was so excited to see him.  He finally emerged in our hotel lobby wearing his khaki work uniform, with a shaved head; I was so thrilled. Over the course of the next two days, we saw him in a drill competition, at an awards dinner, and at the graduation ceremony.  It was an exciting occasion, but I had no idea what was to come.

Rob then received orders that he was going to Norfolk, VA, which gave me a sigh of relief because I thought he would be safe there, given the rising tensions in North Korea at the time. My mom and I became obsessed with international affairs.  We kept up with the news constantly, and always found a way to disagree with the government saying we should intervene somewhere. In September 2013, Obama announced that the US might be going to Syria.  Several other ships from Norfolk were off its coast in the Mediterranean Sea, and Rob told us he was probably going as well.  Once again, I cried.

Luckily, Rob has remained in Norfolk, but we never know what could come.  He is ready to go wherever they need him, whenever they need him. 

Rob’s story has taught me the importance of appreciating veterans, and the families of those whose loved ones are overseas. Whenever I hear ISIS, I get chills up my spine. I cannot imagine what it would feel like to know that your loved one was in danger. Whenever I see an ROTC on uniform day, it is a stark reminder of how many people are dedicated to keeping our country safe.  If any of you are reading this, I would like to personally thank you. Veterans’ Day, like any day, is a time to appreciate our veterans and all they have done for us.  It is because of them that our country is the way it is today.

If you see a veteran today, or any day, do not forget to say, “Thank you.” Happy Veterans’ Day.

Photo sources:

http://home-school-coach.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/veterans-day-flag-picture.jpg

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.