While You Were Out: This Week’s Top News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This past week, I know that everyone has been getting ready for finals and trying to get through the last push before break. It’s been tough and maybe you haven’t been keeping up with what’s been going on in the world outside the BC bubble. Here’s a quick recap of the past week!

The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

If you didn’t tune in to watch the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show this week, then you’ve missed out. Trust me when I say that it just gets better and better. This year’s show featured short interviews with the models as well as a behind the scenes look at what it was like to be back stage at the show. The costumes were outrageous, the models were gorgeous as ever, and Adam Levine was all over the screen cheering on his girlfriend. All in all, it was a great way to avoid studying and enjoy some time with friends and of course nothing beats watching sexy, confident and gorgeous women strutting their stuff on the runway.

The Heisman Award

As I am sure many of you already know, Boston College had its very own Andre Williams up for the Heisman Trophy this year. Most of the campus showed their support by tweeting encouraging words and including “#AndreWilliams” in their tweets wishing him goodluck. I, along with my entire house, waited with baited breath to see if BC would be a winner this year. Unfortunately, the news cut the Boston College community like a knife. Our man lost. Watching the show I saw Andre taking the loss like a champion. We are going to keep rooting for him, as he is a man of true valor. BC lost to Jameis Winston, a 19-year-old Florida State quarterback. He is now the youngest player ever to take home the famed trophy! So we applaud him, but our love will always be with Andre.

SantaCon

So I have recently become aware that this is a real thing. This event consists of men and women all dressing in something Christmas themed, hence the name SantaCon, and going out for a night on the town. It’s a night of fun, drinking and plenty of Christmas cheer. This year, a few thousand Santas came together in Tompkins Square Park in New York City to kick off the festivities. Now there is some controversy over the SantaCon tradition.  The event worries some people because of theheavy drinking that can lead to fighting, public urinating and vomiting, not to mention a lot of other questionable activities that really make it an “acquired taste” kind of event.  The event is a fun tradition that was originally started in San Francisco in 1994. Now it is celebrated in numerous cities. I say keep it going – I like having something to look forward to when we graduate from Boston College. You need to get your crazy drunken partying out somehow.

Sources:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/santas-hit-nyc-annual-pub-crawl-article-1.1221069

http://carolyncollado.com/vs-fashion-show-2013-behind-the-scenes-hair-and-makeup

http://www.abc3340.com/story/24222039/2013-heisman-trophy

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."