What You Missed This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This week in the news…

A BC Confession Goes Too Far

Tuesday afternoon a lengthy and alarming confession post resulted in a heated reaction from the BC community.  The post detailed three separate incidences of nonconsensual sex between the writer and intoxicated female BC students.  Students did not take this lightly and immediately formed an event “A Response to Boston College Confession #7122”.  News spread quickly and did not just remain inside the BC community as other forms of media such as Boston Magazine and the Huffington Post also picked up on this alarming confession.  Early Wednesday morning, the Dean of Students released a statement on the situation stating that Boston College officials had been notified and that an investigation had commenced.  He also stated that late Tuesday night a student had come forward claiming that the confession had been a hoax.  The student was referred to the Student Conduct System to face appropriate disciplinary sanctions and the investigation into the confession would still continue.

Kimye release Second Photo of North ‘Nori’ West

Kim Kardashian took a trip to France for Paris Fashion Week for a couple of days, leaving 3-month- old North at home for the first time.  This past week Kim shared the second known photo of North West with the public via Instagram with the caption “I missed waking up with my little angel”.  The first photo of Nori was shared in August on Kris Jenner’s talk show so it was about time for another photo release of their beautiful girl.

The Panda Cam Stopped Working

Yes you read that correctly, this past week many people were devastated as they watched the Panda Cam screen go black.  No more cute and cuddly panda to help you get through your lecture class or long day in the office.  Oh yeah, and the Government shutdown too.  Now I cannot claim to be an expert on the exact logistics behind the shutdown, but it was due to an inability to reach a decision on funding for The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) that brought about the shutdown.  Honestly, while I would never usually recommend Buzzfeed as a source of information, if you are looking for a basic way of understanding the shutdown then check out this article “Ferris Bueller Explains the Government Shutdown”, but if you want a more in-depth description then I suggest checking out more reputable news sources such as The Washington Post or New York Times. 

Homeless Man No Longer Homeless

Who would return a backpack containing $42,000 found on the street in Dorchester, Massachusetts?  Glen James, a homeless man who was accustomed to standing in line begging for food, would and did.  James found the backpack containing $2,400 in cash, $39,000 in American Express Travelers Checks and a passport, in a South Bay shopping center in Dorchester.  He then proceeded to flag down a nearby police officer to give him the bag full of money.  Little did he know, that his life was about to change by doing this good deed.  

An act such as this really restores faith in humanity, and that is exactly how it impacted Ethan Whittington, a man from Virginia who created a Web donation site for James.  This trust fund is set up to receive over $150,000 in donations being collected for James in order for him to get back on his feet with proper guidance.  James will receive medical assistance and job training as well.  James is preparing to move into transitional housing which will be the first time in 5 years that he will have stable housing. James is proof that there is something to be said for the good karma that comes from doing the right thing.     

Sources:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/north-west-photo-kim-kardashian_n_4044532.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/10/04/homeless-man-who-returned-set-move-into-housing/3dV6w47w23JPXNyYlOzUDO/story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/us/politics/us-government-shutdown.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://io9.com/5943896/drop-everything–a-baby-panda-was-just-born-at-the-national-zoo-and-theres-a-baby-panda-ca

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum