Weekend Mantra: “Keep Your Heels, Head, and Standards High”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It’s a Sunday, and after a long weekend I am completely content with lying in my bed, reconnecting with my computer, and putting off work for just a little bit longer.  After a sufficient amount of time browsing through recipes I wish I could cook, outfits I aspire to put together, and homes I envy to live in, I come across a quote on one of my favorite sites, Pinterest, that couldn’t be more applicable to this past weekend and pretty much all other weekends in my college experience: “Keep you heels, head, and STANDARDS high.”

When reading this quote my initial reaction was “Wow, that makes so much sense, I really like that.”  And then I realized, “More girls should live by this quote.”  Many a night out I wonder if the girls stumbling around left their morals as well as some of their clothes back in their room.  I am all up for having a good time, but ladies, never lose pride in yourself or lower yourself for a man or to impress those around you.  Be you, be proud, be strong!

Keeping Your Heels High

This is the one I struggle with a bit since most nights I would be more than happy to wear boots or flats over heels when I go out, but I appreciate the concept of heels.  When you walk in heels you need to watch where you go, take one step at a time, and make sure you aren’t caught stumbling.  These are little phrases that have both direct and universal connotations.  Not only should your heels be high, but you should also try to walk home with them still on.  AKA: don’t do the walk of shame carrying them back the next morning.

Keeping Your Head High

Always go out with pride in who you are, how you look, and whom you are with. Nothing looks better on a girl than confidence!  Don’t let what other people say bring you down, if it makes you happy then do what you do!  Walking with your head high, you go around with pride and have an air that you know what’s going on.  Of course, you should also make sure your make-up and hair look fabulous to match!  Be that girl that everyone believes has it together and envies you for your class and sass.  Keep your head high but make sure your nose isn’t higher.

Keeping Your Standards High

Ladies, this is the one that I stress the most!  Don’t lose who you are for the sake of a guy, a party, toxic friends, or weird situation.  You are worth it, just remind yourself of that in whatever you do.  Thursday-Sunday, you can have all the fun you want!  Feel free to go flirting and dancing and drinking with guys and girls around but you know once you don’t feel comfortable, you shouldn’t compromise.  Push your limits, but push them to lift you up, not to tear you down.

Photo sources:

www.pinterest.com

www.weheartit.com

www.usamania.wikispaces.com

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.