Wanderlust On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Last summer, I packed up a baby blue Honda pilot and drove across America with my boyfriend and my best friend (who happens to be his twin brother). This summer, with two different internships and the goal of saving money for study abroad, it doesn’t seem plausible to plan an extensive adventure, and yet, I can’t imagine going through the summer without doing something.

I hear from friends all the time about planning exotic adventures halfway around the world, and I can’t help but think that there are so many things to see right here in the United States. My road trip last summer allowed me to see the sunset over Yosemite Valley and the sunrise in Arizona, the food trucks in Austin and the dirt roads across the New Mexican desert, and the entire trip only cost around $700—including my inevitable California shopping sprees. There are two things to keep in mind when crafting summer itineraries: a life-changing adventure doesn’t have to be expensive, and more importantly, it doesn’t have to mean leaving the country.

There are 58 national parks in the United States, 28 that you can get to by car. You can see the Rainbow Bridge in Utah, Niagara Falls in New York, Mesa Verde in Colorado, or Shi Shi Beach in Washington. If none of those interest you (I don’t know how that’s even possible, but…) there are over 6,000 state parks that you can choose from, too. Check out the National Park Service’s website here to find out more.

Photo By: Wilson Trawick)

Nature isn’t your thing? Visit Fisherman’s Wharf or Chinatown in San Francisco, cheer on the Cowboys on in Dallas, or go see the Parthenon in Nashville. There’s so much to see, and road-tripping there might even be the best part of the adventure. Yes, it’s small quarters, but pack a cooler and make an epic 90’s playlist to get you through the long stretches. No one judges you for screaming “Wonderwall” at the top of your lungs if you’re on a road trip. Anyone see Crossroads? Channel 2002 Britney. (I would say, “minus the bucket hat,” but no. Bring the bucket hat.)

Photo By: Wilson Trawick

I think a nice southern road trip is in the cards for me this summer. Now, the choice is between a Houston/Austin trip, or a Savannah/Charleston trip—both of which would only cost a total of $100 in gas, and both of which would be amazing. Of course, if the opportunity arises to travel out of the country, take it, but I promise that you’ll be amazed at what our own country has to offer if you just take the chance to look around.

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.