The Tried and True LUSH Products That Are Perfect for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

If you overhear a BC Collegiette say, “Oh my GOD! You HAVE to try this! It’s organic, vegan, smells Ah-Mazing, and it’s SOOO good for your skin,” she is either A) talking about her new obsession with a strictly quinoa or kale diet (you’re not fooling anyone, it doesn’t taste THAT good…) or B) her favorite product from LUSH. For those of you who do not know what LUSH is, allow me to introduce you to your soon-to-be bathing craze since the loofah. 

LUSH is a cosmetic store that specializes in handmade, organic, non-animal tested products that range from soaps and creams to deodorants and makeup.  Every product in the store looks pretty and unique, and they work just as well as they smell – which is pretty darn good!  I have been shopping at LUSH for about a year now, testing just about everything, and these are my tried and true products that I absolutely have to have at all times!

Ocean Salt Face and Body Scrub

This was actually my first ever purchase from LUSH and I still swear by it to this very day!  This body scrub is great at clearing up breakouts and exfoliating your skin.  The scrub is rather grainy, since real sea salt is its main ingredient – perfect for clearing away dead skin!  Avocado and coconut are two other ingredients that are used to make sure that your skin stays hydrated as it balances out the drying effects of sea salt.  I personally only use this product on my face and I have had significantly less breakouts, but it should have the same effect on the rest of your body, especially if you are prone to breaking out on your chest and back!

“Tender Is the Night” Massage Bar

This bar was once supposed to be just a seasonal massage bar made specifically for Valentine’s Day, but because of its popularity among customers, LUSH decided to keep it in stores year round!  Best decision ever! I actually received this massage bar as a Valentine’s Day present this year and I quickly became hooked.  The scent is absolutely amazing – a mix of vanilla and jasmine that is not too strong, but definitely noticeable on your skin.  Also, because it is a massage bar, this product is more like a shower cream instead of something you wash yourself with.  It is made with Shea butter that softens and moisturizes your skin like no other.  I especially like to use this bar after I shave my legs to keep them silky smooth!

“The Sacred Truth” Fresh Face Mask

I bought this face mask on a whim at the LUSH store in the Chestnut Hill Mall a couple of weeks ago, and I like what I see!  It comes in a cute little container, but it lasts for quite a long time (I’ve been using the mask twice a week for about three weeks now).  I have very sensitive skin, so a store worker helped me find this specific mask to ensure I wouldn’t break out.  It contains papaya, green tea, and ginseng root among other ingredients, like Shea butter, eggs, and linseed for moisturizing.  The effect is noticeable – my skin has been brighter, giving me that “fresh” look that only the vitamins in these natural ingredients could bring out!  LUSH has a whole line of face masks that contain different ingredients that cater to both your skin type and what results you expect from the mask.  You should definitely experiment!

“Smitten” hand cream

Unfortunately, this hand cream is only available online since it has been “retired” from the stores, but trust me when I say that it is THE BEST hand cream I have ever tried.  I had two jars – one I stuck in my backpack and one I put in my purse, so it’s safe to say that I never left my dorm this winter without it.  It did an amazing job of keeping my hands from getting cracked and dry from this horrible, long winter and it made them smell great as a bonus.

Any Special Holiday/Seasonal Soaps

LUSH products are also known for looking creatively cute, especially when it comes to their holiday products.  Right now they are selling Easter and springtime themed soaps and bath products, such as carrot-shaped bubble bath mixes, Easter egg bath “bombs” (to make your bath water all fizzy), and Easter/spring colored bubble bars that change the color of your bath water!  These cute and fun products also make great gifts to stick in your family and friends’ Easter baskets in case you were getting tired of the whole chocolate routine.

Be sure to check out their products online or stop by one of the LUSH stores the next time you go shopping at the Chestnut Hill Mall or on Newbury! You might find your new favorite addition to your shower caddie!

Photo Sources:

http://www.weewestchester.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Ocean-Salt-Large.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xSAQXKjFPbI/UuNxzSlFh4I/AAAAAAAAExU/VzrJjpAKeKA/s1600/P1218638.jpg

http://www.iheartcosmetics.co.uk/2011/02/lush-green-tea-face-mask-sacred-truth.html

http://www.kraseybeauty.com/2011/07/what%E2%80%99s-old-is-new-again-lush-retro.html

http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.com/2014/03/have-lush-easter.html

Boston College Class of 2016Communications and Political ScienceInterests include Legal Matter Management,  Matter Management
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum