Transforming Your (Not-So-Professional) Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

How many times have you looked in your closet and said, “I have nothing to wear!”?  Even though the shelves are bulging with folded clothes and there’s a rainbow of patterns, textures, and colors at my disposal, I still have days when there’s just “nothing to wear.”  I know, such a first world problem.  Even more perplexing is when you have to dress for a job interview.  No fear, HC BC is here to help!  You probably have everything you need right in front of you!  Here are some tips on what to wear – and definitely what not to wear – on your big day.

Collared Shirt
Pin stripes, chambray, or solid color, a collared shirt is a great way to look professionally polished.  Pair this shirt with a pair of dress slacks or a pencil skirt and you’re ready to go!  Collared shirts are a great investment because of their versatility; they go with just about everything!

Satin Tops
You thought they were just for going out?  Nonsense!  A classy (and ahem, not so revealing or see-through) satin top pairs nicely with a cardigan or slacks.  Lacy, bold, or just stylish- it’s a great way to show your personality with a professional twist!

Little Black Dress
Every girl has (or should have) a little black dress.  Again, there are a million ways to dress it up or down, depending on what type of job you’re interviewing for.  A colored cardigan or jacket is a nice way to give your little black dress some business-casual flair!

Pants
Some women are afraid that they have to wear a pencil skirt or an over-the-knee skirt to interview for a position and communicate that they are a “businesswoman.”  Well, hate to break it to you, but not all businesswomen wear skirts 24/7.   Every girl needs a nice pair of dress pants as an option.  For your interview, a pleated pant leg that really compliments your body shape is a great option!  (Just please don’t wear jeans or yoga pants).

Pumps
Although you may wear these shoes for special occasions or to go out on the town for a friend’s birthday, pairing patent leather pumps with professional attire is definitely a do!  Oxford pumps are also an adorable option! Nude pumps are a classy way to stay stylish while you interview for the job of your dreams.

Jewelry
Pearls are a great way to communicate that you are a classy and confident woman.  Some nice earrings or a necklace can go a long way to pull together an otherwise drab outfit.

For your hair and makeup
Don’t overdo it.  Of course it depends on the job you’re interviewing for, but simplicity is key.  You don’t want the interviewer to be distracted by your voluminous locks, bright lips, or over-the-top accessories.   A sweet and natural, but professional, look is always the way to go!

The most important thing you need when you interview for a job is your smiling face, a firm handshake, and your brain!  Don’t over share but be confident with your answers.  Practicing with a friend (and trying on your outfit) the night before is always a good idea!  At the end of the day, you want the interviewer to be entranced by your personality and credentials, not thinking about how your skirt was inappropriately short or how you looked uncomfortable.  Remember the three P’s: professional, polished, and poised ladies!

Photo Sources:
http://stylespotter.luckymag.com/assets/images/0000/0358/officelook.jpg
http://www.femita.com/wp-content/uploads/job-interview-dress.jpg
http://sammydvintage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/lunchshoes.jpg

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.