Tips for Running your First Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I ran my first full marathon in eighth grade.  Even though I had a lot more energy back then, it was still incredibly challenging and I will forever be proud of myself for that accomplishment. My siblings soon followed and all three of them completed a full marathon by the time they graduated from middle school.  Additionally, both of my parents have completed marathons, so it’s safe to say that I’ve had a lot of experience in the marathon world. Here are some tips I’ve learned from my own experiences as well as from the experiences of my family members.

1. Give yourself PLENTY of time to train. 9 months is usually safe. You need to slowly increase your mileage to avoid injury.

2. Create a training schedule with the number of miles you need to run each day and try your best to stick with it.

3. Listen to your body and stop if something is painful.  There is a big difference between being sore and being in pain.

4. Try to get your practice runs done early in the morning so you’re not stressed about them later in the day.

5. Buy some workout clothes that make you look great and that you’re excited to wear.

6. Invest in a small waist pouch that can hold small energy snacks. Sport Beans are great for energy boosts and taste just like jelly beans.

7. Carbo-load the night before long runs. This is my favorite part of marathon-training, not going to lie.

8. Try running with a buddy who is around the same pace as you.

9. Encouragement from others is incredibly important.  Tell your family and friends about what you’re trying to do!

10. Get an awesome playlist.

11. Any goal worth accomplishing takes A LOT of work. Don’t give up just because it’s hard.

You’ve got this!

Sources:

https://media.glamour.com/photos/569598b593ef4b09520d567d/master/w_1280,…

https://media.giphy.com/media/1ZkMDj88mQ1rO/giphy.gif