This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Maybe one day you try on a yellow sundress and realize that your hair is—tragically—more “lazer-lemon” than “sunglow gold.” Maybe one day you put on your favorite old socks and realize that after years of cozy knit perfection they’re now more like toe-less gloves. Or maybe you take a political science class with all the assurance in the world of law school success, only to come to terms with your poetic passion for roundabout rhymes and literary illustrations. In each case, no matter how big or small, you’re confronted with the chance—or need—to reevaluate.

From a young age we’re told that a person can be, and often is, defined by who they associate with. In the most flawless one-season-wonder-that-ever-was, Freaks and Geeks, Lindsay Weir automatically is perceived as a burnout when she begins to hang around Daniel Desario and his crew (although we all know she was a lost mathlete at heart). As you get older and busier, you begin to realize how precious your free time is. Especially in your early-20s—arguably the most character-building years of a person’s life—it becomes increasingly important that you surround yourself with people who support you, inspire you, and help you grow.

Relationships evolve over time, and the same people who were by your side in 10th grade gym class might not be as supportive and invested when you’re hundreds of miles apart at different colleges. Sometimes, it’s important to look around at the people you’re choosing to surround yourself with, because it might be time to reevaluate.

A friend should be someone that you are proud to have by your side, someone with which you share a mutual respect, and someone that you want to see succeed just as much as they want to see you succeed. Too often people remain in a friendship because of time past, but the quality of a relationship is not defined by whether you met in diapers or at a party in college or at your new job—a healthy friendship can develop at any time. There are always more people to meet and more friendships to come.

We are social creatures at our core, and we need to foster healthy relationships in order to be happy. Choose your friends wisely, because they have the power to pick you up when you fall, to make you laugh when you cry, and to believe in you when you don’t believe in yourself. Remember all the times Big broke Carrie’s heart and Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda always took care of her? They’re obviously great (fictional) friends.

At the end of the day, your friendships do affect who you become as a person. It’s completely normal to grow out of past relationships and to grow into new ones. You should always try to surround yourself with honest, positive people—the best people you know—and in turn, you’ll strive to be and do your best as well.

Photo Sources:

http://suitesculturelles.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/sic_londonnyc.jpg

https://weinstein365.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/lucy-and-ethel.jpg?w=30…

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/05/…

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.