Strengthen, Lengthen, and Tone with Modern Barre!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

What do ballet, Pilates, and yoga all have in common? They work to strengthen, lengthen, and tone your entire body. This is exactly why Barre classes are taking the fitness world by storm because who doesn’t want a lean, rockin’ bod?

You’ve probably seen the Pure Barre in Newton Centre when you are walking over to Johnny’s or Deluxe Street Diner. And the Plex even began offering Barre fitness classes this semester. However, there is a new studio in town that collegiettes have got to try out… Modern Barre.

The Grand Opening of Modern Barre is tomorrow – November 9th. The boutique studio is located at 242 Commonwealth Avenue, just two blocks west of BC towards Newton Centre, and offers fitness classes for students of all levels. During its Grand Opening week, the studio will be offering free classes, running from Saturday, November 9th through Friday, November 15th. Take your pick from the Signature Modern Barre class, the Cardio Barre Fusion, and the Beginner Barre & Stretch class. Reserve your spot now in the ‘Schedule’ section on the studio’s website.

What makes Modern Barre so great? The class sizes are small (only eight people per session), allowing for individualized attention and personalized instruction. This is important for a class where your workout is dependent on how good your form is.

Founder, Julia Williamson, has taken inspiration from more than 25 years of dance and athletic training to develop the Modern Barre approach. Modern Barre’s mission is, “to create a challenging yet supportive environment to leave you feeling energized, refreshed, and inspired.” Williamson’s hope is to create a supportive and energizing experience that clients can look forward to every week.

Each class is set to upbeat music and ends with a calming cool down to leave you feeling centered. The studio is an escape from campus, your own personal workout haven, with 12-foot ceilings, original hardwood floors, and wall-to-wall picture windows. We don’t know about you, but that sounds pretty good to us!

What are you waiting for? Sign up for a free class during this upcoming week and experience Modern Barre for yourself. The HC BC team will be trying it out next Friday, so we will definitely fill you in on our experience. For more information, check out the Modern Barre Facebook page and the Modern Barre website.

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."