Stop Packing So Much

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

So first, the truth: You pack too much stuff.

“But Juliana! What if I get stranded at an airport?” You say.

Okay, well, there’s that. You could be stranded at an airport. But you’re still packing much too much.

“But what if something unexpected happens?” You think.

Are your clothes not versatile?

“I have a perfect occasion to wear that mesh neon green crop top that I bought on sale at H & M two months ago! I’ll totally wear it during my family trip to Orlando!” You think.

Really? You seriously will?

You so won’t.

“It will go so well with those suede sneakers that were so in season a month ago!”

Ok, fine. Pack what you will. However, if you want to avoid lugging around a 75 lb Vera Bradley duffle in addition to your tote and backpack here are my tips for packing lightly.

Make a list! Include clothing, toiletries, and other things you need. Are you going to feel uncomfortable without your cleanser or moisturizer? Bring them in small containers. Can you go a few days without washing your hair? Wash it before you leave. Don’t just chuck things into your suitcase. Everything should have a purpose and everything should be used by the end of the trip. Don’t forget to bring the list with you so you can gather all your stuff when you return home.

Don’t check a single bag. Seriously, why would you? It’s a huge hassle, costs money, and you could lose it! I guess I understand if you’re moving out of your dorm or going somewhere for over three weeks, but for a weekend or week-long trip? Try not to. Instead, limit yourself to two pieces of luggage.

Versatility is key. Pick separates that work together and that feel comfortable together. Even if you won’t have access to a washer and dryer, you can re-wear most bottoms and outerwear. This also applies to your body care items. Pick a lip and cheek stain over two separate containers, and use your lip balm as a cuticle care.

Choose your shoes with extra care. What’s the weather like? Will you be walking around much? Can your day shoes pass as night shoes? Will suede or patent leather really be your friend? Are you okay with getting salt, sand, water, or mud on your shoes? Bring what you need, what you feel comfortable in, and what will go well with what you’re already bringing.

Be thoughtful about extras. Are you going to read that extra book, or could you buy another when you’re there? Bring more contacts/hairbands/lip balm if you’re always losing yours. Bring some medicine so you can recover quickly if you catch anything on the plane.

Be realistic about what you’ll use, but also be prepared. 

Photo Source:

http://cloud3.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/girl-packing…

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum