Rules of Going to a Random Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

So we’ve all been there: it’s a Saturday night and the one thing on your social agenda is a friend of a friend’s party. You kind of cringe at the thought because you know you’re going to get there and simply not know anybody. You’ll recognize the familiar faces but you won’t know who to talk to. And although your friends have made the proper introductions, you know you’ll still feel weird grasping your half empty drink and pretending to space out. Here are some rules on getting by at a random party:

1.     Introduce yourself. As surprising as this sounds, I love when my friends invite people I don’t know to my party. It adds more fun to the mix. But there’s nothing that annoys me more (okay well there are probably a million things that annoy me more) when the randos don’t introduce themselves. Instead, they just kind of give you these awkward open-mouth glances as they hover over the drinks table. It’s much less awkward to just introduce yourself to the host of the party. Also, try and introduce yourself to the other people at the party. You could actually end up making a new best friend! And if not, who cares? You tried.

2.     BYOB. Look, this is not always the case but it’s better to be safe than sorry. If you’re some sort of “vodka connoisseur” (AKA prefer the finer things in life which don’t include 13$ Rubinoff) or you know the party will be so big you won’t make it through the crowd to reach the scrumptious jungle juice then BYOB. By no means am I saying you have to drink at all. I’m just saying I don’t want to see your sour face when you can’t find a drink.

3.     Forget about your hands. This may sound weird but you’ll understand what I mean in just a second. For some reason, every time I feel shifty and flat out uncomfortable I completely forget where my hands go. How can hands ever look strangely placed? Just watch me go through airport security (authority figures make me nervous, deal with it). Try and wear pants with pockets or keep a drink in hand, even if you’re not drinking it. You’ll never have to worry about where to place your hands again!

4.     Stick with your friends. I know a quick trip to the loo may seem necessary at the moment but have you ever tried to enter a circle of people and not known quite how to go about it? You kind of walk around the circle looking for any slight crevice but you’re at a loss. Everyone is engrossed in the conversation and you don’t want to tap your friends because tapping people is weird. Save yourself from this terrible misfortune and either hold it in or coax one of your friends into going with you.

5.     Drop the attitude. I know confidence is an attractive quality and whatever but when it morphs into arrogance it’s just no longer cool. I will never forget the day my roommates and I hosted a party. Some poor, misguided fool asked one of us, “Um do you even know anyone here?” I imagine it must have been quite thrilling when she got to say, “I live here! Who do you know here?” So please save yourself from that embarrassing misfortune.

6.     Put your phone away. We are all guilty of using our phones as a crutch when placed in an awkward situation. But if your constantly checking Yik Yak you will give off an unapproachable vibe.

7.Don’t Complain. Seriously, no one likes a Debbie Downer. And there’s a difference between making fun of the host’s Justin Bieber playlist and complaining about how bad the party is. Unless I’m about to leave, the last thing I want is to have someone pointing out how bad the party is. This is especially rude if you weren’t officially invited to begin with. Sometimes parties suck, but you always have the option to leave! And if you choose to stay, don’t rain on everyone’s parade.

Going to a party where you don’t know anyone can be intimidating! But it doesn’t always have to be. Follow these seven rules and you’ll enjoy yourself. And if you’re not having fun there’s always Plan B: go home, order Domino’s, put on a pair of sweats, and watch countless episodes of Family Guy.

Cover Photo: http://prettylittleliars.alloyentertainment.com/files/2011/02/Liars-at-Frat-Party.jpg

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum