This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Every nervous pre-frosh spends the end of her summer thinking, nay dreaming, that her roommate will be her best friend, her wingman and her standing ticket to a lunch buddy a the drop of a text.   I’d be lying if I said that every roommate match at BC was peaches and cream, however.   Making my way from a series of three different roommates freshman year to living with my two best friends in the world, I have been through every level of roommate hell and back.

Whether your roommate is a “rando,” a friend of a friend, or has even been your best friend for years, you will inevitably encounter some of those awkward, annoying and downright want-to-kill-her roommate moments.   Avoid these common roomie issues by setting some general boundaries before the going gets rough and the rough change the locks.

Sleep:
Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to sleeping conditions, and everyone is very specific about what they need to get their beauty rest.  Whether the clicking of your roommate’s laptop keys will keep you awake for hours, or if you could sleep through a tornado, make sure your roommate knows what you need.   Also find out whether you are early birds or night owls and establish a sleep schedule that will work for the both of you.  Simply deciding what lights can be on while one roomie is sleeping can tip the scales between a good living situation and a bad one.

Noise:
The best things you and your roommates can have are a few pairs of great headphones.  Sure, spontaneous dance parties around the room in our pajamas (or just about anytime really) have been some of my favorite times, but there are times when hitting the books and sticking in the headphones just have to happen.

Cleanliness:
In a room with eight other girls and one bathroom, there were many times last year that our nine-man looked like it belonged on an episode of “Hoarders.”   Though one roommate is definitely easier to handle, cleanliness is always an issue when living with someone else.   Just talk about it! BC students are notorious for taking on too much, and sometimes life just gets in the way, leaving the dishes overflowing and a mountain of trash begging to be taken out.  If your roomie’s game of crushed-paper basketball has you hopping around the trash in your room two weeks later, ask her to clean it up.   Chances are she didn’t even realize it was bothering you.

Guests:
While BC may ban co-ed sleepovers, the hookup culture loves them.   When you’re in a relationship, the inevitable roommate interruption is your worst nightmare, but during those single times, your roommate’s romantic affair seems to come over at exactly the same time that you want to nap or barge into the room in your towel.   Set up a code, set some boundaries, do whatever you have to do, but make sure everyone knows when guest presence is appropriate.  You would be amazed at what a simple “Give me an hour” text can do.

Sharing:
The number one life-saver when it comes to sharing is to write your name on things you want.   Even if you are one of the people in life who live by the, “what’s mine is yours” philosophy, there will be the inevitable day where your roommate drinks your last diet coke or makes the last bag of popcorn exactly when you want it.   If you have a snack you absolutely know you would be devastated if your roommate finished off, write your name on it.

Clothes:
Clothes are a different story.   Just because the closets in the dorms don’t have doors and you can see the brand new Urban tank that your roommate bought (that would look absolutely perfect covered in beer at that Mod party tonight), doesn’t mean that you can swipe it without asking.   Every girl has her preference about sharing her clothes.  Make sure you know your roommate’s, or you could end up with a major fashion fiasco on your hands.

If you are starting with a new roommate this year, try waiting a couple of weeks before making new rules.  Everyone is peachy in the beginning of the year: the Natty is flowing, people are catching up on their summer stories, and football season finally here.  Getting past the first two weeks is a no-brainer, but remember, you have to make it through the rest of the year with your roommate.

If, in the bitter end, you can’t make it work (and are afraid that you may drag your roommate down the hall by her hair if she doesn’t empty the recycling again), talk to your RA.   The RAs are trained for these situations and have great advice on how to handle a difficult placement.

Make an effort to get to know your roommate.   You two may not be the best of friends, but if you understand each other, there is a better chance that you will make the situation work.  If you are scared to talk to your roommate, nothing will ever get resolved.  And you never know, you could end up building a friendship that could last you for years!

Photo Sources:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Dirty_dishes.jpg
http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/101109un…

Maggie Burdge is currently a junior at Boston College. A Los Angeles native, she will always be a California girl at heart, but is happy to call Boston her home. Maggie is a Communications major with a minor in Studio Art in Photography She just finished a study abroad program studying photography at John Cabot University in Rome, Italy. She has been worked with Her Campus BC for two years as a photographer and writer. She loves everything Her Campus stands for and cannot wait to write more articles for the collegiettes out there following us!
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.