Putting Health Back Into Your Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.
Now that we have been back for several weeks, we no longer have the excuse that “tomorrow” will be better, or “next week” we will workout every day. As college students, it’s easy to put our health on the back burner. Whether we are busying studying, socializing, sleeping or eating, it is hard to find the time to make our health an important factor in our day. 

While we may think the ideal student is “plexing” for more than 3 hours everyday, the reality is that there are not enough hours in the day for most people to spend this much time in the gym. In fact, many of us only have about a half-hour to an hour to take the time to workout. Making time might mean waking up a half-hour earlier to run around the res for 30 minutes (you get much prettier Res “instas” when the sun is just coming up). Or if you need some motivation, perhaps you could ask your roommates to join you when you go to the gym. Having someone to work out with is proven to make you go to the gym more often. Or maybe your reason for heading to the plex is just to show off your new lulu lemon top and Nike shorts. Whatever it is, try to make exercise important to you so that the daunting freshmen 15 (or sophomore 7 or senior 17) happen. That being said, working out is not the only contributing factor to living a healthier life in college.

You have to make your health a priority. Therefore a late night buffalo chicken wrap with blue cheese dressing, a side of fries, mozzarella sticks, and chicken fingers is probably not the call. Being healthy is not easy and can at times be pretty miserable. All you need to do is scroll through your Instagram feed to see about three ice cream photos and seven Shake Shack burgers to remind you that eating a plain salad is not so awesome. 

At the end of the day it is hard to pass on the late night Dominos call, but in the morning you might be happier if you make this decision. Let’s be honest, no one has ever said, “Wow, I really regret working out!” So if you have those extra 30 minutes in your day, head to the gym – You can even bring your Netflix with you!

Photo Sources

Sophomore in CSOMFinance Concentration
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.