Put Down Your Phone: The Tap Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Are you someone who finds yourself constantly checking your phone? Would you be willing to do that less often if it meant helping people in need of safe drinking water? Through the United Nations Children’s Fund’s nationwide campaign called The Tap Project, for every ten minutes you go without touching your phone, sponsors such as Giorgio Armani Fragrances will fund one day of clean drinking water for a child in need.

World Water Day, which was on March 22nd, reminds us to appreciate what we sometimes take for granted in our communities, even though so many other communities around the globe may lack it: clean water. To get started, all you have to do is open uniceftapproject.org on your smartphone’s web browser and put down your phone!

Although, ideally, UNICEF shouldn’t need a gimmick to get people to support their cause, a campaign like The Tap Project effectively makes an appeal to today’s technology-preoccupied crowd. $1 donated to UNICEF has long provided a child safe drinking water for 40 days; but now, thanks to The Tap Project, you can provide children with safe drinking water at no monetary cost. Let’s face it: in retrospect, going without your phone for a little while isn’t that big of a deal.

Whether you’re someone who finds it easy going without your phone for days or someone who needs motivation to stop procrastinating on your phone, giving The Tap Project a shot is worth it. You’ll be supporting UNICEF in their mission to provide access to clean water and safe sanitation facilities in over 100 countries, and the time you spend away from your phone can be used in other, more productive ways. You have nothing to lose!

For more info, check out this informational video: 

Article Sources

tap.unicefusa.org

unicefusa.org/campaigns/tap-project/

unwater.org/worldwaterday/about-world-water-day/world-water-day-2014-water-and-energy/en/

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum