Post-Grad Apartment Hunting Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

For seniors, commencement is looming, and with it, the prospect of adulting. Being a real, functioning adult (help!) often includes having a job, renting an apartment, and waking up early (ugh). While we unfortunately can’t help with the first one or the last one, HCBC has some pro-tips for finding and renting an apartment!

1. Find Your Roommates

Most of us have no problem with this in college (except for the dreaded eight-man break-up), but looking for roommates after graduation is more difficult than just creating groups with the girls on your floor. You’ll be with these people more often and you all have more responsibilities, so tensions are bound to get high on occasion. Figuring out who it is you want to live with will majorly impact how comfortable you feel at home…you probably won’t be able to crash on your friend’s couch next door (separation anxiety is real, y’all) if you get in a fight with one of your roommates. It’s also important to make sure you’re all on the same page in terms of what you’re looking for in a place.

2. Figure Out Your Price Range

This is the most important step in buying or renting anything. You need to know how much you’re willing to spend and what your absolute maximum is before you go out and start looking, because anyone who’s watched Say Yes to the Dress will know that falling in love with something way over budget only ends in tears and heartbreak. Don’t look at something you know you can’t afford, because it will only make the things you can afford look worse in comparison.

3. Talk To Your Parents

You’ll most likely need a guarantor (aka someone who signs a form that says they will cover your rent if you majorly screw up), so you’ll need to communicate with your parents before you sign anything. They’ll also probably have some experience with apartment hunting, so they’ll know exactly what questions to ask any realtor or landlord in order to ensure that you don’t get taken advantage of (thanks for checking over our lease, Mom). Plus, they’re going to be the ones helping you move (shout out to Dad for moving my really heavy bed) so they should at least get to see the place before you make any decisions.

4. Do Your Research

Knowing exactly what comes with every apartment you look at is crucial. Are utilities included? Is there laundry in the building? Is it coin-op? What happens if something breaks? Who do you call? Is there parking available? What are the neighbors like? Is it gas or oil heat? Can you get a subletter for the summer if you need to? Where’s the nearest public transportation? What about a grocery store? These are just some of the important questions you’ll need to ask your realtor or find on a Zillow listing before you agree to sign anything. Often, your best resource is the current tenants, so when you go look at a place, make sure you talk to them!

5. Be Critical

Look at a few places before you decide on one. Remember that although your realtor may be a very nice person, they are trying to sell you something, so always double-check what they have to say. Check the water pressure (good showers are important) and the cabinets (bugs and mice hide in there sometimes!) before you sign a lease. If you have existing furniture you’re bringing to a new place, make sure it will fit. And above all, remember that this is not your permanent home, so you don’t have to want to live there forever. Just make sure that you and your roommates can find something that you’re all satisfied with.

Follow these tips and you’ll have your first real apartment in no time! Happy hunting!

Photo Credits:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pictures-of-money/17123251389

http://onehope.net/rob-hoskins/we-research/

https://www.k-state.edu/osas/ochs/leases.html

http://harborsidevillage.com/blog/the-best-of-maryland-waterfront-communities/what-are-the-benefits-apartment-garages/

BC Senior, Future High School Teacher. Lover of laughing, Diet Coke, friends and family, pandas, peanut butter, and the BCMB.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.