Pinterest Fun Fridays on Foster: Margarita Cupcakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

In celebration of Cinco de Mayo (which is on Monday for those of you who don’t know), I decided to make Margarita cupcakes. And yes, they have actual tequila and Margarita mix in them. Continue reading to see how the festive cupcakes turned out!

This week: Margarita Cupcakes, courtesy of Cook Like A Champion

Ingredients

For the cupcakes:

• 3 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 3 limes, zested and juiced
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons + ¼ cup tequila

For the frosting:

I attempted to make the frosting that went along with these cupcakes, but I’m sad to say I had my first Pinterest fail of the year. It just went horribly wrong, so I found another recipe for frosting and made that instead. You can find the original recipe here.

• ½ cup shortening
  • ½ cup butter
  • 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
  • 5 teaspoons vanilla (Note: I used 2 teaspoons vanilla, 2 teaspoons tequila, and one teaspoon lime juice)

How to Make the Cupcakes

1. Heat the oven to 325º Fahrenheit and line two cupcake tins with liners. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

2. Beat the butter and sugar together at medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.

3. Combine the buttermilk, lime zest and juice, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the tequila in a 2-cup measuring cup.

4. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry and wet ingredients in 2-3 batches, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until just incorporated.

5. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared tins. Bake for 18-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs and the top springs back when touched lightly.

6. Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 5 minutes.

7. Transfer to a wire rack and brush the tops with the remaining ¼ cup tequila and cool completely before frosting.

How to Make the Frosting

1. Beat the shortening and butter together for approximately 5 minutes.

2. Add condensed milk and beat for another 5 minutes.

3. Add vanilla and beat again until the frosting has reached your desired thickness.

Final Product:

Overall Rating: 5 (Would be higher without the frosting fail)

Time Spent in Kitchen: Over 90 minutes (that dang frosting!!)

This was a fun, festive treat for Cinco de Mayo, but I would only make it once a year because it was a lot of work. By the end of it, I didn’t even want to try them, but my roommates seemed to enjoy them! If you try out this recipe, let us know how it works for you!

Happy (early) Cinco de Mayo!

Peace, Love & Pinterest

-Katherine

Katherine ValentinoSenior in A&S English Major Minor in American Studies, concentration in journalism 
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."