The Other Things I’m Learning From My PULSE Placement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

At orientation before freshman year, I had to make a decision that everyone at BC has to make: Perspectives or PULSE. Or other, if you really wanted to. I really didn’t want to take separate theology classes though, so the other was not in my future. Perspectives seemed interesting, but the first thing my orientation leader told me was that there was a lot of reading. Considering I probably read half of the required reading in high school and planned on continuing that in college, I realized that Perspectives also was not for me. Which left PULSE, which to me was a class with less reading and some community service thrown in. It was the lesser of three evils, so I made room in my schedule for sophomore year to take it.

I don’t think I’ve made a better decision in my college career.

Sure, BC is pretty, but I only spent time at BC because I didn’t feel comfortable spending time in Boston alone.

PULSE is so much more than learning about Augustine and Aristotle and going into the city to volunteer for 12 hours a week. Sure, reading about some old dead guys and their thoughts on the self, love, and wisdom is interesting and helping people is rewarding, but at least to me there’s more to PULSE than those two very attractive aspects. I honestly feel like every time I go my placement it’s like going to a job. I don’t feel like a student confined to my campus unless I need to go shopping for something or grab a bite to eat somewhere other than Lower. Whenever I walk down the street towards my placement I feel like I’m stepping out of the student world of Boston and stepping into Boston’s working world. I feel connected with Boston more than ever before, and now feel comfortable trekking into the city alone for my placement and otherwise—something I would have never done before my journey with PULSE.

Because of PULSE, I get excited walking around areas that I don’t know. I enjoy taking photos of random people in the street and pretending that I’m the guy from HONY. I’m not afraid to get on the T by myself and venture into the city. I’ve found my new favorite study spot in the Boston Public Library (where I am currently writing this article).  I love to walk around at night and see the skyline. I show off my city to my parents and my friends from out of town. I’ve found new coffee shops and my favorite Chipotle and Robin William’s bench in the Boston Public Garden.  I used to dread looking like a student in Boston because I felt like everyone was judging me but now I get excited to look like a student because even though I am, by taking PULSE I feel like I’m so much more.  

Sure, PULSE is teaching me about philosophers and is giving me the opportunity to help those in need, but the best thing it’s done for me is make me feel comfortable in the city I live in.  Like it or not, Boston has been my home for a year and a half and will continue to be my home for the next two and a half. I might as well get comfortable with it.

Maddy is a Sophomore at Boston College studying Communications and History. Currently living in Los Angeles, Maddy spends her time watching procedurals on Netflix, volunteering for either the Student Admissions Program or Samaritans, reading celebrity gossip, or searching for the best french fries in town.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.