An Open Letter to Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear Procrastination,

You and I had some great times together! With everything we’ve been through, I could probably say that you’re one of my best friends. Where do I even begin? First off, you were just here, seconds before I began writing this article. I guess you knew that I would be writing about you and decided to be nearby for inspiration.

In all seriousness though, I have great memories with you. We’ve definitely watched a lot of TV shows, especially on Netflix. Remember the last week of August during which we just sat in one spot and watched back to back episodes of Parks and Recreation? I could not have achieved getting through all six seasons as quickly as I did if it weren’t for your help! How about the many times that you and I made tea throughout the day? No one could possibly come close to drinking the amount of tea that I drink on a daily basis… and it’s not just because I’m cold, it’s also because you taught me that I should always get up and drink tea when I want to avoid doing work.

Oh goodness, you even managed to come see me again, just now! Thanks for reminding me how urgent it was to check Facebook a few seconds ago. I thought I was forgetting something important…

Anyways, back to my trip down memory lane. Besides watching shows and drinking tea, we’ve browsed the internet in depth. Our favorite sites include, but are not limited to, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Reddit, and YouTube. And, of course, we’ve looked at funny cat pictures! Although I’m not sure that was all you – I think I just really like cats. We’ve also curled up on the couch, just sat and stared at my phone, and cleaned my room. Maybe you even helped me go out into the city or partake in other very long events! Really, we had lots of fun.

To be honest though, I’m beginning to see a different side of you. I think you’re actually my frenemy as opposed to my friend. You’re like one of those people who you just meet and you think to yourself, “Wow! She’s so cool, I must be friends with her!” You really don’t know anything about that person but you have a feeling that she is awesome! Then, the more time you spend with her you realize that you were wrong – beneath the shiny surface there are less desirable characteristics. I think that’s exactly what happened between the two of us. At first, I was mesmerized by you and wanted to spend a lot of time with you! But I think I’m starting to see the truth.

Because of you, I am often tired and don’t get enough sleep. I also panic when I try to finish my assignments by the deadline but time is simply running out. For example, when I was working on my Algorithms homework last week, did you really have to stop by? I just needed a few extra hours, yet you showed up uninvited! Because of you, even if I do finish everything, the quality of my work may be compromised. Lastly, the time I spend with you takes away time I can spend with my actual friends or family members.

Don’t you see it? You’re not a friend, you’re a parasite that consumes my sleep and energy. You lied to me, Procrastination. You promised a great friendship with only positive memories, but it looks like that dream is coming to an end.

Don’t worry, we can still spend time with each other, but only in moderate quantities. I think you should take your business elsewhere, because I want to spend my time wisely. I’ll never forget what we’ve done together, and I’ll still be around! Just try not to stop by so frequently uninvited, deal? Thanks!

Love,

Sleepy and tired Nadya

Photo Sources:

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/a8835255547832fed51a8f00c1b9d3b0fd773806713da4cb5e6149f4c4f44306_large

http://duffmcduffee.com/content/uploads/2014/01/ahh-procrastination.jpg

http://www.funniestmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Funniest_Memes_reverse-procrastination-wow-you-finished_4587.jpeg

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6544965632/h44C48A5A/

Nadya is a Communication major and Computer Science minor in the honors program of Boston College. She loves to dance, and is also a member of DOBC (Dance Organization of Boston College). Nadya has loved writing for HCBC and can't wait for another year!
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.