One Billion Rising

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

“One in three women on the planet will be raped or beaten in her lifetime.  One billion women violated is an atrocity.  One billion women dancing is a REVOLUTION.”

Doesn’t being involved in a revolution sound like an amazing way to spend part of or all of your Valentine’s Day?  I’m hoping your answer to that was an overwhelming and enthusiastic “YES!”  Girl or guy, single or in a relationship, Valentine’s Day is your chance to stand up and take part in a worldwide revolution.  One Billion Rising is an event sponsored by Eve Ensler’s global campaign, V-Day, which is a movement to end violence against women and girls.  You may have heard her name around campus if you attended one of the recent performances of Vagina Monologues that women at Boston College just performed this past weekend.  If acting isn’t your thing, then One Billion Rising gives you the opportunity to show your support for this movement to end to this violence.

How you can Rise!

• Attend an event near us! (Boston Rising at Copley Square is just one of the many events that will be going on in Boston)
  • Change your Facebook profile or cover photo to the One Billion Rising Logo (it’s an easy yet powerful statement of support)
  • Tweet about it!  Make sure to use #1billionrising and #reasontorise
  • Send a letter to your local lawmakers demanding that they prioritize legislation that protects women and girls from violence.  (Put off that paper you’ve been dreading and procrastinate in a way that will make you feel good about leaving it until 2 am the night before its due!)
  • Bring up One Billion Rising in conversation over lunch at Eagles or Hillside (trust me your friends will be impressed with how passionate you are about this cause and you might just inspire them to do their part too)
  • DANCE.  It can be done in your room, on your way to class, or even in class (get your professors permission before braving that one).  Wherever you choose to dance, have someone film it and send in the video to http://onebillionrising.org/pages/share-your-plans

Whether it’s a small or large part of your day, on February 14, 2013, this campaign is inviting you to Walk Out, Dance, Rise Up, and Demand and end to this violence. 

Sources:

http://onebillionrising.org/pages/one-billion-rising-logos

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.