One Bag Travel for a Quick Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Summer is approaching so it’s almost that time to take those summer trips to visit friends; that last minute weekend getaway to New York City or that drive down to Cape Cod. So what do you do when you have 20 minutes to pack for three days? How can you possible account for every situation you may encounter while you are out and about away from the worries of family, internships and summer jobs? I know that this seems like an impossible feat, how you can actually plan for everything that could possibly happen in one weekend! Well I think I have it down pretty well, it’s all about realizing that less is more and thinking systematically.  

First questions to ask yourself:

1. Where are you going? To a beach house? To the city? To a hometown?
  2. Who are you going with? Friends? Boyfriend? Family?
  3. What is the MAIN event you are going for? To party? To relax? To meet the parents? To visit an old friend?

I am assuming that this hypothetical trip is three days and two nights. If we go section by section:

Make-up and toiletries bag: what you need!

1. Toothbrush (I hardly ever pack toothpaste, someone else will)
  2. Deodorant
  3. Perfume
  4. Brush
  5. Chapstick
  6. Lipstick
  7. Moisturizer (tinted)
  8. Mascara
  9. Eyeliner
  10. Small eye shadow

What you need for clothes:

1. Pajamas
  2. Bras: black and beige and don’t forget the braletes for those loose lacy shirts
  3. Shirts: comfy one to wear, 2 cute, one day one night
  4. Bottoms: Jeans, leggings, skirt
  5. One sweater (I’d recommend wearing this during the travel)
  6. Socks, I always forget socks and underwear! Two essentials trust me!

I’d recommend picking one potential outfit and wearing it on the travel to where ever you are going. Wearing one outfit allows you take a smaller bag.

Shoes:

Wear a pair of comfy shoes and pack one other shoe. Depending on the clothes you packed pick something that will match everything. I’d recommend a pair of neutral colored wedges. It helps to dress up any outfit but is still comfy and casual if you do not go any were really fancy.

Jewelry:

Finally picking accessories to match everything is a challenging feat. My recommendation would be to take one gold and one silver necklace and then of course one statement piece. The best way to pack these for travel would be to bag them each separately in ziplock bags and then put them all together in another ziplock. Do the same with your earrings too. This is great way you’re your jewelry to travel because all the pieces will be fully protected without being bulky and taking up unnecessary space. 

A must have for light packing: a mini pocket Febreeze! This is great. If you need something to freshen up you clothes. This can be found in any drug store of Walmart or Target type store.

If you try your best to follow these simple tips you will discover packing becomes a lot easier. The less you stress the more likely you will be to have a less stressful trip. I know that the task is daunting but trust me, less is more. Taking these fun impromptu trips are meant to be whimsical and impulsive. Where ever you travel there is always a mall, local stores if you need to buy something that you didn’t pack and if there isn’t any access to a store then guess what? You probably didn’t need it anyway. Just remember, it about the trip not what you bring, so try not the stress while packing.   

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum