Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

BC Features

Hitting the Road: Packing List for Heading Home for the Holidays

By Brigid Wright
December 15, 2013 - 12:00am

As we colliegettes settle in to our coveted library spots and study spaces, the one universal thought in our minds is undoubtedly, “I can’t wait for finals to be over so I can just go home.” However, while the idea of seeing our parents, our high school friends, and our pets is omnipresent, the process of actually getting home after finals is not. How many times have you finished your last test and realized that there’s actually so much more you have to do before you actually get in the car or on the plane and head back? Here are a few tips and tricks, along with a handy-dandy checklist, to get you through getting ready to go home once you’re finally done for the semester: 1.     Write down everything you need to bring home!...

How to Throw a Classic Christmas Party

By Katherine Valentino
December 14, 2013 - 12:00am

Do you feel like the magic of Christmas has disappeared little by little as you’ve grown up? Blast the Christmas Jams   I’m not talking about Justin Bieber’s cover of "Little Drummer Boy." I’m talking about the music your parents played when ugly Christmas sweaters were just known as Christmas sweaters: Frank Sinatra and Harry Connick, Jr.   READ MORE

Finals? More Like Procrastination

By Gabby Alleyne
December 14, 2013 - 12:00am

With finals approaching quickly (bleh), many of us are already starting to plan out how we will spend our time. This day will be spent writing that paper, that day will be spent reviewing everything you ever learned in that class. The thought of studying for finals is slightly nauseating, as all any of us want to be doing during the last week of the semester is lazing around with our friends. READ MORE

Best and Worst Overheard at BC

By Ashley Goncalves
December 13, 2013 - 12:00am

Have you ever said something and then the second it left your lips you instantly regretted how bad it sounded? We are all guilty of it and so what better way to finish off the semester than with a list of the best and worst things that have been overheard at BC. Don’t worry I won’t give names so that awful thing you said that one time in the Rat will remain forever anonymous. Enjoy! Worst: "The government shut down? Wait what does that even mean?"   READ MORE

The Perfect Hour Long Study Break

By Anne Flick
December 13, 2013 - 12:00am

Alright, so it’s the week of finals. You woke up at 8 a.m., showered and have been studying since 9 a.m. “Just one more hour,” you keep telling yourself. It’s 2 p.m. and if you don’t get away from your desk, you might start throwing books. Here’s my ideal study break, and I hope it provides some inspiration for your own study breaks. 2:00 p.m: Blast your favorite song. It is 24 hour quiet hours, so put in some headphones, stand up, and dance. It’s nice to get some blood flowing and your heart rate up. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to goof off after being super serious about your upcoming stats exam. You can even recruit your roommate! READ MORE

Proving Your Professors Wrong: Using Wikipedia as a Resource

By Brigid Wright
December 12, 2013 - 12:00am

How many times have you heard a teacher say “Wikipedia is not a credible source?” Whether s/he’s saying it as a clever comment while reviewing the assignment sheet for your take home test or as a dangerous warning while going over requirements for your final paper, it’s safe to assume that since Wikipedia’s birth in 2001, many people are wary Wikipedia. READ MORE

Cooking with The Cambridge School of Culinary Arts

By Kelsey Damassa
December 12, 2013 - 12:00am

Last Friday, I was able to check something off my BC bucket list. After three years of talking about taking a cooking class, my roommate and I decided that there is no time like the present. We did our research (thanks Google!) and came across The Cambridge School of Culinary Arts. So from 6-9pm, we donned our chef aprons and put our culinary skills to the test. While the school offers an endless array of classes ranging from savory to sweet and easy to highly technical, we knew that we wanted to sign up for one of their popular holiday classes. As avid bakers and lovers of all dessert, we chose “Just in the St. Nick of Time – Holiday Cookie Class.”...

Blackfish: A Movie Review

By Lydia Ahern
December 11, 2013 - 12:00am

Has anyone else ever watched a movie while taking a bath? …Sometimes I do that. In fact, over thanksgiving break, I set up my computer next to a relaxing bubble bath so I could unwind while watching a documentary that had been highly recommend by a friend. However, as soon as I was settled in the hot water with the right amount of bubbles, the movie began to play and I realized I’d made a huge mistake. Blackfish, a new and popular documentary, is about the mistreatment of killer whales in sea world. READ MORE

6 Tips to Get You Through Studying This Finals Season

By Katherine Valentino
December 11, 2013 - 12:00am

It’s that time of the year again! No, not Christmas….Finals!! If that word strikes pure fear in your heart and you are dreading studying, here are some tips to help you get through it.   1. Mix It Up Don’t study one subject for hours on end. You should study in 20-50 minute increments and give yourself a 5-10 minute break between each session. Try studying one subject for a little and then taking a short break and studying another subject. 2. Listen to Music READ MORE

Getting Through Finals with Garnier!

By Kelsey Damassa
December 10, 2013 - 12:00am

Finals are the most stressful time of the semester for collegiettes. Between writing papers, working on group projects, and studying for exams, it is no wonder that our beauty habits seem to go out the window. Luckily, Garnier sent us their Volume Extend Shampoo and Conditioner to keep our hair healthy and beautiful during the final few weeks of the semester. READ MORE