The New Feminism as told by Tumblr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Feminist attitudes have matured immeasurably since brave women fought for their right to vote at the Seneca Falls Convention in 1848. The face of the feminist movement was first an average housewife wanting a stake in political society, then that face became one of a bra-burning rebel, a modern career woman in the 1980s, and now—with the help of Beyoncé’s empowering feminist messages, Emma Watson’s tear-jerking UN speech, and social media platforms such as Tumblr—the new face of feminism is your face.

Feminism by definition seeks political, economic, and social equality of the sexes, and now in the 21st century, these goals—still largely unaccomplished—are focused around all women and their right to choose to be whomever they wish. What feminists are fighting for now is the woman’s right to live free from judgment—to exist outside of the preconceived box society places us in.

Tumblr has managed to unite everyone—all ages, genders, races, no matter what political ideology you follow or socioeconomic class you belong to— in the fight for personal freedom and gender equality. Posts advocating against slut-shaming and for self-positivity stand next to simple, thought provoking, boxes with hot pink letters stating, “Why should a woman have to be modest in order to be respected?” 

The new feminism through Tumblr aims to empower all women, and works to eliminate gender roles—including constructed characteristics of masculinity. (That means there is absolutely no need for meninism, guys). In addition, people everywhere are sharing their stories—some more personal than others—about how gender inequality has affected them. Stories of girls being punished for turning down boys, being sexualized at too young an age, or simply being asked questions like, “Oh you’re going to graduate school? I thought you’d want to have a family…”

Women’s rights have come a long way, and yet having a career and raising a child are still placed in opposition to one another. Young men are never questioned when they choose to advance their careers or continue their educations—not to mention that women earn 77 cents for every dollar a man earns for the same work.

Feminism at its core does not distinguish among women. It does not judge or shame any woman for being any way in particular—sexual, religious, career-driven, maternal in nature, or any combination. Women all over Tumblr are lifting each other up and giving each other the courage to be whoever they wish to be, and ensuring each other that their life does not have to consist of giving up one thing to have another. You can have beauty and brains; I assure you those attributes are not mutually exclusive. Feel free to throw in a high-powered career and a few children as well.

Social media and the millennial generation in its entirety receive constant criticism for being “absent to political issues,” and yet young men and women all over the world have come together to be the new face of feminism. And according to a frequently reblogged post on Tumblr (originally from a NewStatesman article by Glosswitch), “We’re here to knock down the entire edifice, not repaint the walls.”

Photo Sources:

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.