Navigating the Aftermath of Student Activities Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

By Caroline Kohler

Congratulations!  You survived the wonderful (and a bit frightening) BC tradition of Student Activities Fair!  Now that you are likely on about 20 listservs, have a nice stack of flyers on your desk from nearly every club/group on campus, and a true understanding of just how many opportunities there are to get involved, it’s time to really figure out what you want to commit yourself to at BC.

Couple things to keep in mind while you make this decision:

1.  As BC students we tend to have heavy workloads, so you want to utilize your time wisely. Keep this in mind in deciding what clubs to commit to; pick things that you are passionate about and find fulfilling to join.

2.  Don’t worry if you signed up for a lot of clubs and still don’t know exactly what you want to do.   Read the emails the clubs send you at the beginning of the year and figure out if it’s something you still think you would enjoy!  If you decide it isn’t, email the officers of the club and explain that you currently can’t commit yourself to that club.

3.  Pay attention to and mark your calendars with audition/try out days for clubs/groups that require them! (most music, comedy, dance, and athletic clubs/groups have them)

4.  Boston College students are a body of young adults who enjoy committing their time to service. If you have a similar passion, do not be shy to apply to more than one service program because they tend to be competitive get into.  Even if you do not get into your first choice, do not worry.  Regardless of what you commit your time to for a service program, it will definitely be rewarding and an incredible experience!

5.  Don’t be discouraged if you don’t find the perfect club/group at the Student Activities Fair (especially if you are a Freshman)!  Student Activities Fair is just a brief introduction to extracurricular involvement at BC.  If at some point during the year you decide that you want to join a club/group that you didn’t look into initially most clubs are extremely welcoming!

Also, if you didn’t get over to the Fair on Friday no worries!  You can either stop by the Student Programs Office on the second floor of Maloney or go on http://www.bc.edu/offices/studentprograms/rsoresources.html to find out all about the clubs/groups that BC has to offer!  

If you are interested in joining the Her Campus BC, like our page on Facebook and keep an eye out for a post about an upcoming information session!  All writers, photographers, and girls who love BC are welcome to come!

Photo Source:

Patrick Hughes, Class of 2014

https://www.facebook.com/Bosto…

https://www.facebook.com/herca…

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum